beesa71
>280
>280
Flag: Great Britain

Re: >mead tomkinson

Postby beesa71 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 am

Francois,

See my 'pm' to you.

You obviously know more about the 2 off 1972 bikes than I do, be interesting to add to my information.

Regards to all.

Paul.

BasilF
>20
>20

Re: >mead tomkinsos

Postby BasilF » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:57 pm

beesa71 wrote:No Gerry, just 2LS.

Each cylinder has two fixings. Each shoe then, at about mid-point, has an 'anti-knock back' arrangement with a nut on the outside of the brake plate and that might be giving the impression of more pivot points etc.

I've removed the pictures I took of the inside of a M&T converted brake plate assembly from my iPad but will try and add images to this thread when I get home later in the week.

Paul.

It looks like 2 trailing shoes! No it doesn't. Snail cams are at the moving end of the cylinders.

jim-nz
>20
>20
Flag: New Zealand

Postby jim-nz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:35 am

The article states that the bike is lowered 2.5 cm. Would anyone here know if that is at the front and rear or just the front?

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Postby minetymenace » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:41 am

I guess, and it is only a guess that it would be both, otherwise the handling would be upset....shorter shocks on the rear (you don't need the travel on a circuit) and stanchions one inch above the yokes (as in the photo). Having said it is both front and rear, just doing the front would make it turn in quicker, hard to judge the angle of the swing arm to tell if the rear is lowered too.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

beesa71
>280
>280

Postby beesa71 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 pm

The stanchions and sprongs were shortened (I have evidence) and the rear shock absorbers were, as you suggest Gerry, 1" shorter units.

Paul.

jim-nz
>20
>20
Flag: New Zealand

Postby jim-nz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Also on the subject of the Y*maha rear wheel. from looking at the pictures i decided it is a DS3-DS6 wheel so i recently obtained a good DS5 wheel. One of the things people say about B50's is that the rear wheel is too heavy so i was surprised to see how much heavier the DS5 wheel is. Rough measurements give the B50 wheel at around 7 kg and the DS5 wheel at around 9-10 kg. these measurements were done on bathroom scales so not necessarily accurate. Taken with no tyre and stock steel rims on both. i was thinking of using the wheel in my race bike but i am unsure now. Is there any knowledge about on any lightening M&T might have done to the Y*maha wheel?

beesa71
>280
>280

Postby beesa71 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 am

Jim,

In answer to your last question; no they didn't although I have one that was fitted with a Nylon sprocket. An alloy rim, as they used of course, helped a little.

I will try and post pics of an installed wheel (if nobody beats me to it) after the forthcoming B50 meeting in France.

Regards to all.

Paul.

Return to “Tales Of Woe”