Indicator anomaly

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

davidprice
>10
>10
Has thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Indicator anomaly

Post by davidprice » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi I am nearing the end of a total rebuild of a 1971 B series B25SS I have wired it exactly as the wiring diagram and everything works correctly except the indicators. I replaced the flasher unit as the original was dead. That is probably why the bike had no indicators on it when I bought it. Now the front and rear right hand indicators working as they should, but the left hand rear flashes with the right hand front and the left hand front does not flash at all. The bulb and wiring from the snap connector have been checked and are OK. I have checked and re checked that all of the red and green wires are connected and the green and white wires are connected as per the wiring schematic . So how can the front right hand light flash in conjunction with the left hand rear when the turn signal switch is operating the left turn signals . The indicator warning light bulb has blown, but surely a blown bulb would not cause the anomaly that I am experiencing. Likewise surely the turn switch itself can not be causing it either, as it operates the right hand lights correctly and when switched to the left turn it operates the rear left turn indicator and not the rear right indicator, but for some reason the front right indicator flashes and not the front left. The screws have seized in the indicator switch so I am unable to get it apart at present to see if there is a fault in it, which I doubt. The indicator switch and the warning light are the only connections that I can see between the right and left indicators. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their indicators , and what did they find was the cause. :(

Barry Creary
<1100
<1100
Flag: Australia

Re: Indicator anomaly

Post by Barry Creary » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:12 am

Check the earth with a lead from the blinker housing to earth sometimes if a bad earth the current will go back though the globe and light it

Canberra
>1200
>1200
Flag: Australia

Post by Canberra » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:58 am

Totally agree. Do not rely on the standard BSA wiring where they used the frame as the earth. I run extra earths back to a common point. The indicators are very prone to poor earths, especially from the front lights.

John

davidprice
>10
>10

Post by davidprice » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks John and Barry.
I will run an extra earth from the indicator that is not working and see what happens. I checked with a multi meter and there was continuity from the green and white snap connector on the power lead to the outside of the indicator stalk. I have to admit electrics is not my forte .

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:05 am

Agree with the above, the other area to check is the switch, but earth is the first thing.

Once this is resolved I might move this to Tech. It is no doubt, a tale of woe, but a neat technical solution might be better placed under that heading.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

davidprice
>10
>10

Post by davidprice » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Thank you for the advice gentlemen. A new earth wire fixed the problem and now all indicators work as they should. If I can see how it is supposed to move , I can fix it, but the magic of electrics is a bit of a mystery to me.