have survived....

Just some fun to show. Links, pics or movies.

Moderator: minetymenace

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

have survived....

Postby beat » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 pm

hi all

we are back from two weeks holiday by the brits.
exactly by the cornish only, but as it was school holiday and a banking weekend - I guess everybody was down at the coast this days....

well, - the first four days I was always making sure there is a Toilet nearby...... :oops: :oops: ( Greetings to Stan..... )
afterwards, nearly everything vent well at this point.

but still, there where some especial moments such as the first day we stay in the Jolly Sailor Inn in Looe.
DSCN0094.jpg

so at night time at 4 o-klock, there was a loud BANG in the building to the right and some windows was braking.
soon a burglar alarm starts noising and I could hear as there is something going on in the very next building to our room.
I opened the window ( the one above the entrance door ) and could see a man holding two bags in the hands comes out on to the street and grumbled something like " fu...ng bad shop " , then he runned away along the street.
shortly after this, the police and some neighbors coming along....- and so on. well, the night was ending with this !
in the morning we realized it was a SPAHR shop having a window brocken....

the day wasn't finished, no, - there was live music in the Jolly Sailor Inn this evening: a shanty group was singing really nice songs and some elderly people enjoyed singing as well ! evan for me and my wife it was a lovely experience :lol: :lol:
the catastrophe comes when I ordered a other Port Wine and they telling me so sorry as the last bottle is empty now :!:
this means for me : -- the ship is dry so to say -- <946

so this was the end of the really first day in UK, ----- story will continues soon...

beat :werd

Grouty
>600
>600

Re: have survived....

Postby Grouty » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:52 am

I hope you enjoy Cornwall Beat. I'm just a few miles up the road from you. If you are passing ..... BEER ;-) ??

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Postby minetymenace » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Grouty, pay attention, first para in beat's post says he is back home!! :roll:
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

Grouty
>600
>600

Postby Grouty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:45 am

Doh ..... :???:

Still .... the thought was there. But it does mean there is more Tribute to drink now ! Best I get to it <219

hwan
>620
>620
Flag: Great Britain

Postby hwan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 pm

You picked the right pub in Looe ...... :???:
I worked summer holidays in the Double-Decker bar on the sea front, sex drugs and sticky carpets ...........

How come LOOE ????

beat
>1400
>1400

Postby beat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:34 pm

hwan wrote:How come LOOE ????

well : first turn left after arriving in Plymouth...... :???:
and nice coast walk over to Polperro ---- :grin:

The next days we enjoyed Mevagissey and then tried to stay in a Mousehole but they did not let us in cause of no vacancy rooms there.
we find some B&B in Penzance - BUT ---
DSCN0137.jpg
next morning present....

some people calling electric cars = shit cars, - in this case it was really true :!: <974
the birds of Penzance will be kept in mind for a wile <215 <215
all the other where clean, - just ours...... <218

aniway, Lands End and other lovely things around like the Thinnmine exploring by bike ( push- bike ! ) was really good.
DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0140.jpg
was near on to buy a new Lathe for me....

a next nice stay we had in St. Ives and a good swimm on the beach as well.

then it comes to the bank holiday.

surching for a room and find something in St. Austel, - ALL others was books out !

the Cornwall Spa and Estate, - the only chance for NOT sleeping in the car ore under a bridge....

gents, sorry but---- I do really surch for the words to explain this.....

330 £ ( = 400 SFr ) for one night - and just to destroy al sens for hope: this was NOT including breakfast :!: :!:
( I can not say how much a breakfast costs there, -- I was to shy to ask for :oops: :oops: )
DSCN0200.jpg
a nice room....

yes, a nice room but how can one like me slipping well by such a money by the night ??

any suggestions :?: :?: :?:

beat :cry:

hwan
>620
>620

Postby hwan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 am

Did you go and have a look @ Eden project ... i literally remember it when it was a hole in the ground :grin:
Always good for a warm up (in the tropical zone).

I married a Cornish lass, until recently had a house in St Austell, had a boat in the river Fowey for years and did a great deal of business with ECCI (now Imerys) - Looe was always a favorite.

If I'd know you were struggling to find rooms, my old neighbor in St Austell would have put you up for a few days - although she stopped being an advertised B&B she still does it, when she fancies.

Nice coastal path - you can walk from Polperro up to the 'Lost Gardens of Heligan (and get in for free :grin: ) - this was the predecessor of Eden Project.

I'd move down to Cornwall tomorrow - sadly my wife thinks otherwise and couldn't wait to get out !!!!!

hwan
>620
>620

Postby hwan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 am

My first trip to Cornwall on my own - on a BSA C11G - my tent was a ground sheet, tied to the bike as a Bivi.
We were trying to do Lands End to John o Groats .................... And yes it did rain ..............

beat
>1400
>1400

Postby beat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 pm

hi hwan.

no, not at Eden Project. to many with two legs around there at this time of the year.....

we made the lost garden from Movagissey, fount it by pushbike ( and with the help of the electric motors on them... :smile: ), was really nice :!:

<200

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Postby minetymenace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 pm

beat, next time you are over I'll introduce you to The National Trust, its worth joining just for the carp arks in Cornwall alone.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

beat
>1400
>1400

Postby beat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

minetymenace wrote: I'll introduce you to The National Trust

you mean this thing here ??
DSCN0248.jpg

I guess it can not save me of this here:
DSCN0220.jpg

Cornwall Beach on banking holiday :roll:
parking the car wasn't such a big deal, - but parking our selfs..... :cry:
( the rarely space in between the people is occupied by the dogs- please note )

:lol: :lol:

beat

at least and last we find ONE carpark in plymouth with a charging station for electric cars -- and charging was free :!: :!:

hwan
>620
>620

Postby hwan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:28 am

BEAT - sounds as if you had a good drive around and found some nice places.

The difference between summer and winter is the reason why wifey could not cope with Cornwall - traffic on roads and beaches in summer - driving rain, mist/fog and a generally depressing place in winter.

Its an area of real deprivation, little work for the locals, in the holiday season any work is taken by incomers, a lot of holiday homes which are empty out of season, Polperro is virtually empty out of season.
Large numbers of static and mobile caravans, which contribute nothing to the area as they spend no money. Large numbers or retired who have no money to spend.
Etc etc etc.

I went to a job interview at a school in Fowey - really surprised by the kids, worst than Sheffield/Leeds inner city kids - their attitude was - Cornwall's a dump and cannot wait to get out, whats the point of education, no work ......

I'd still move there tomorrow :grin:

Return to “Off topic”