Coming or going ?

Just some fun to show. Links, pics or movies.

Moderator: minetymenace

HPbyStan
>1400
>1400
Flag: United States of America

Coming or going ?

Postby HPbyStan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:43 am

Hey Brits, why do you have different colour license plates the front and back on cars. Can't the bobbies tell if they or you are coming or going?

Brad Jones
>180
>180
Flag: France

Re: Coming or going ?

Postby Brad Jones » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:41 am

There is an answer to this Stan and I think it's lurking in an early '70s issue of UK Motorcycle Mechanics. I remember the magazine was reporting on the then experimental reflective plates, yellow for the rear and white for the front. Never mind about the bobbies though, my concern centres on how the yellow can often clash with the manufacturers carefully selected paint colours!!! :lol:

Brad
Brad Jones

AJ CCM
>260
>260
Flag: England

Postby AJ CCM » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:35 pm

The reason for a yellow plate at the rear and white at the front is because it is illegal to show a white light to the rear at night, and that the law includes reflectors in its definition of what constitutes a light. This was before the days of reversing lights, for which the law was amended so that if you are reversing you can show a white light in conjunction with a red light.. Also Yellow & Black are the boldest contrast you can get and thus enables them to be read at the greatest distance.
Regards AJ CCM

HPbyStan
>1400
>1400

Postby HPbyStan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks for that guys. I didn't notice the difference when I was over there in '07 for the races in Peterborough but now that I'm hooked on watching Wheeler Dealers on Direct TV I see that on all the cars. Still wonder why the front one isn't also yellow if that is better.

Jack Gifford
>480
>480

Postby Jack Gifford » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:38 am

Brad Jones wrote: ... my concern centres on how the yellow can often clash with the manufacturers carefully selected paint colours!!!...
Or with my carefully chosen color for my totally refurbished '59 GMC... yech! But I can't believe how lucky I got a couple of months ago. I got rid of a car that had the blue & white plates that NYS had issued a few years ago, and transferred the registration and plates- it's the "crowning touch" on the refurbished truck! The plates were still miint condition, only used on my nice-weather '55 Plymouth. Sorry, I didn't get a picture- but this photo shows the "clash' of orange/black on a blue truck.
Attachments
gmc_aug_101__small.jpg
"Motley" bike history: Horex 400, 1940 HD 45 FH, HD Baja 100, '49 Indian Scout 440, Victor 441 Roadster, H*nda TL125, Guzzi V50, H*nda FT500, 400-4, NX250
Aside from bikes: known as the "guru" of M/T hemi Pontiacs

Return to “Off topic”