1969 B25 Starfire LH sidecover

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

B44Claus
>140
>140
Flag: Denmark

1969 B25 Starfire LH sidecover

Post by B44Claus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Good afternoon,

The LH side cover on my 69 Starfire has always been a bad fit. It can be installed with the oddy studs but it doesn't look right and it also fouls the frame were it shouldn't I think.
Cover 1.JPG
Cover 2.JPG
Cover 3.JPG
It is as if it sits too high at the rear where it almost touches the frame and is right up against the tool tray.
At the bottom front of the cover there is notch which should fit around a frame tube. However it doesn't align with the frame tube at all.
Overall it seems as if the cover sits too high at the rear and lowering it there would allow it to clear the frame as well as the tool tray and bring the notch closer to fit around the frame tube.
I have tried adjusting the position of the tool tray to bring the attachment point for the rear oddy stud down a bit but it doesn't change it significantly. Besides, the tool tray can only be moved very little if it is to align with the brackets on the frame.
Are there different side covers of the glass fiber type?
Can the glass fiber distort over time if for instance exposed to heat? Sun light?

Brgds,
Claus
B44Claus

kommando
>1400
>1400
Has thanked: 0
Flag: Ireland

Re: 1969 B25 Starfire LH sidecover

Post by kommando » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 am

As far as I am aware the only differences were colour between the different fibreglass covers. From your pictures I cannot see if you have fitted the lower buffer bracket to the underside of the battery tray, if not there it could change the alignment of the cover, never seen an unrestored bike with it fitted so it must drop off or always be removed. Plus have you the right length oddie screws as one was longer than the other from memory.

B44Claus
>140
>140

Post by B44Claus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks Kommando,

Yes your'e right the lower buffer bracket is missing, in fact I don't have it. Regarding the oddy studs the parts book specify 3 short and 1 long but doesn't say which goes where on either side. I have tried different combinations of short and long studs for the left side cover but it all comes down to that the rear sits too high and touches the frame:
Cover3.JPG
At the front of the cover there is a notch which I'm not sure should be there:
Cover4.JPG
The underside of the cover doesn't seem to fit correctly to the frame:
Cover5.JPG
It annoys me that it misaligns also because it scratches the paint where the cover touches the frame.

Brgds,
Claus
B44Claus

kommando
>1400
>1400
Has thanked: 0
Flag: Ireland

Post by kommando » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Have you tried bending the tabs on the frame, they can move around a lot as they are just sheet steel welded to the frame.

B44Claus
>140
>140

Post by B44Claus » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks Kommando,

I'll have a look at that.

Brgds,
Claus
B44Claus