Project Mail from Beat

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

koncretekid
>860
>860
Flag: Canada

Re: Project Mail from Beat

Post by koncretekid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 am

Maybe you could just borrow a better front wheel and brake from another bike (B50 8" tls?) to get thru inspection?
Tom
life's uncertain - go fast now

SteveS
>480
>480
Has thanked: 0
Flag: England

Post by SteveS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 am

Hi Beat

This must be very frustrating for you

In the UK until recently we had to have our BSA's MoT'd every year. Some MoT test stations took a more pragmatic view of testing and understood that the brakes on a 50 year old bike would not pass tests to today's standards.

I had my favourite MoT test station as they understood bikes and as long as there was no evidence of negligence through lack of maintenance or damaged or faulty parts invariably the bike would pass the test. On one occasion my bike failed the test (I can't remember what for) so I rode a couple of miles down the road to another test station and they passed it.

It may be worth checking locally in Switzerland to see how others have coped with the issue of testing older motorcycles. Is there a veteran/vintage club that could offer advice?

Regards
Steve Sewell

beat
>1400
>1400
Has thanked: 0
Flag: Switzerland

Post by beat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 pm

HURRAAAAAA!!!!!

passed MOT today :!:

this time, same place but a other gentleman.
he checked play in the axle and the brake drum, - find it OK now.
then he vent for a short ride, coming back he said : " yes, something like a brake is a little bit feelable."
but I guess, you are used on it like this.

--IT IS OK ------ !
charged me 27.- SFr.--- and away I vent ! ( repeat will fallow in two years.... )

I know, my front brake is marginal, - this for I always keep in a longer distance to the vehicle in front of me.
I am used on it since 102 000 Km's.

so beat gos to sleep happy this evening...

<1010 <1010 <220 <220

koncretekid
>860
>860
Flag: Canada

Post by koncretekid » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 am

We have it so easy, especially in Colorado. After the initial pain of getting an unregistered bike registered, all I have to do is send in $48 per year and they send me a new sticker for my license plate! On two of my bikes, I have vintage plates that cost something like $200 for 5 years.

In Nova Scotia, I have to take it in every two years so they can check that the lights work, and send in a similar amount.

Tom
life's uncertain - go fast now