B44SS

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Sly Dixon
>380
>380
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: New Zealand

Re: B44SS

Post by Sly Dixon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Good news on the gearbox front. I pulled it all apart this evening and couldn't find any major signs of distress on the cogs. Buggered if I know where all that swarf was coming from but Ive cleaned it all out and put it back together again. Maybe Ill just have to get used to a noisy third cog.
A question occurs though. In pulling off the clutch I realized that I hadn't wired the clutch screws down and that was because despite the fact that the screws have holes drilled for wiring the wire would get in the way of the clutch cover when the clutch is pulled. Clearly there is something Im missing here so if someone can enlighten me Id rather have the clutch screws secured than not.
Last edited by Sly Dixon on Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Ian Hingley » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 pm

By 'clutch cover' do you mean the pressure plate, or the primary chain case?

Just run a single piece of lockwire through all four screws and tighten it up. Won't interfere with the pressure plate. And the screws (which don't move outwards of course) would be hitting the primary case already if you're worried about the lockwire clearance.

So I'm not really understanding your concern.

Here's my B44:
IMG_0030small.jpg
Ian
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 2015 Truimph Street Twin, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 96 Aprilia Moto 6.5, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:01 pm

I must have the screws in too far in that case. Ill back them off so that the pressure plate is clear of the wire. Cheers S

Barry Creary
<1100
<1100
Flag: Australia

Post by Barry Creary » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Sly you need the cups about level with the pressure plate :thumb

HPbyStan
>1400
>1400
Flag: United States of America

Post by HPbyStan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:11 am

There are 3 different depth spring cups so make sure you have the correct ones for your clutch.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:19 am

Sorted it. I screwed them in until the joint between the spring and the screw was flush with the top of the pressure plate. There was room to get a wire through and the clutch operates fine. Bit of a relief really as running without wire was always a weak point.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:51 am

Biblical weather at the moment! Thunder and lightening very very frightening. Did however get a quick run in between showers. Im pretty pleased as the bike is settling down into a nice cohesive machine. I took my daughter out to her jewlery class out in South Auckland the other day probably 15 miles each way mostly on the motorway. Got there fine with a slightly worrying clanking from the main chain region towards the end. Look down on arrival to discover the rear engine mount had completely undone and whilst the stud was still there the nuts and washers were long gone. The stud had been floating into the chain so got away without a lockup there! Took the stud out and drove gingerly into the local shops to find a solution and found a REPCO that sold 9/16" AF 3/8" UNF nylock nuts. They were in a gold pasivated finish but I would have been churlish to moan. Got it all tightened up again and headed home. Very pleased with the performance and since I stripped the gearbox and had to reset the timing it seems to start a lot easier. Tickle only when stone cold and air lever when cooled down. Stangely and pleasingly it seems to clank a bit less now as well or perhaps Im just getting used to it. Damn pleased to have a bike that I can buy nuts and bolts from major suppliers for. The Bullet is all cycle thread so I generally have to make my own. I'll leave the gold passivated nuts there for the moment as it will remind me to check the tighness of bolts before I go on two up rides in future!

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Post by beat » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:44 pm

hi Sly,

this bikes are horrible shakers, - I say 1/3 of all the times they let you down is cause of the vibrating.
so, checking nuts and bolts is one thing, - mounting additional stuff in rubbers ore with springs ore in leather is the other.
especialy when going for long distances, - amazing what all decides to go a other way.....

beat :mrgreen:

David S
>220
>220
Flag: United States of America

Post by David S » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:38 pm

I once had my mirror vibrate almost off while riding my 68 441VS down the hiway! I now use a bar end mirror and it seems to stay on better,although I still need to tighten the bar end bolt a couple of times during the season. b44icon Yes,they sure do shake!!!!

David S

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 am

Had a lovely ride this evening. Powered down the North Western motorway. Humming along between 60 and 70mph. It's sounding lovely at speed. I still treat it a bit gently but I thought how lucky the cars that I overtook were to have that petty machine go past them making a lovely noise. I've got an annoying oil leak from underneath but I think if I use the loctite flange sealer on the crankcase baseplate it will hopefully desist. Lastly, I put the rubber tank pads on with more difficulty than I expected. The strange neoprene like rubber they are made of was impervious to the Ados F2 adhesive. I had to wipe it down with acetone to get it to stick at all. Certainly not going to pull any paint off that's for sure. I'll post a pic soon.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 am

So hubris strikes again. I pulled the bottom plate off the crankcase to re seal it and found a piece of hard steel. I knew what it was as I had seen one just like it before when the last new pushrod cap shattered. I bought two new pushrods from British Only in Austria. They seemed to be ideal but the cups were too deeply recessed and the edges too thin. The first one on the exhaust side shattered on a previous assembly. I assumed it was my fault (which it probably was) and put the one good one of the previous set back in. A couple of weeks back the inlet Tappet needed resetting and I presumed wrongly that it was the bottom of the rod bedding into the follower. Seems it was the other cap shitting itself. The other original rod was so short,for a reason that eludes me, that there was no Tappet adjustment left and the rocker was colliding with the cover cap. The pushrod cap though was fine so I was able to put the old top on the new aluminium pushrod with a very fine steel bush to make up for the difference in size and some maximum strength loctite. In the process I found a rocker box but had disappeared. So much for my lovely handmade fittings!
Attachments
image.jpeg

koncretekid
>860
>860
Flag: Canada

Post by koncretekid » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:12 pm

I had the same problem with Alloytech pushrods that were about 1/16" too short. The cup hit the ridge on the ball and resulted in pieces broken out.

I switched to Smith Brothers which are heavier, but have a larger cup with more clearance.

Tom
life's uncertain - go fast now

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Ive ended up with a similar set up. With one original and one new with the original top. A trap for young players though!

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Took the bike for a serious ride last week. Rode about 120 miles up to the north via the backroads and back. There are some excellent biking roads to the north and north west of Auckland and as I was skiving on a work day the roads were pretty quiet. The bike went really well and was a real pleasure to ride the only fly in the ointment being that the speedo started to act up with the needle flanging back and forth at anything about 50 mph. I pulled it apart again and dismantled the mechanism to discover that there were some witness marks where the rotating magnet had been touching the disk attached to the needle. I've reassembled it and shortened the cable a bit as I think it might have been putting pressure on the fine spindle bearing in the middle of the rotating magnet. I thought quite seriously of putting a nice old 1950's Smiths Chronometric that reads kilometers on the bike and I even got as far as making it a mounting bracket. Looks a little silly although its a vastly more accurate gauge so I may try the proper one in its rubber case again.
Attachments
Chrono.JPG
Metric Chronometric looking a bit quaint.

kommando
>1400
>1400
Flag: Ireland

Post by kommando » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Most of the pattern speedo cables are to long so always worth checking before fitting, you can also find the Square end is oversize and the sides need dressing.

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:09 pm

Is it parked next to an Italian V twin by any chance?
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

lathejack
>180
>180
Flag: Great Britain

Post by lathejack » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:54 pm

minetymenace wrote:Is it parked next to an Italian V twin by any chance?
Yes I think your right, a Guzzi 500 Monza or 350 Imola maybe.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Yes well spotted thats my 81 500 Monza.
Attachments
IMG_1811.JPG

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:50 am

Had a nice spring ride today with a mate on a 350 CZ. I am not a fan of two strokes larger than cycle motors or at a stretch Vespa Scooter size but I have to say you can see why they made them for such a long time. I swapped bikes with him early in a 50-60 km green lanes ride, again out to the West and North of Auckland. It has a feeling that as long as you were prepared to pour gallons of gas into it and cope with the ignominy of producing clouds of smoke as you troll along at really pretty solid speeds you could go on riding forever. What was more interesting was watching the exhaust on the 441 as it was ridden in front of me. I've been running a 3 slide in the carb and clearly the recommended 3 1/2 slide is an urgent mod. I'll get the files out shortly and do it.
Attachments
Whangaparoa Ride.JPG
Last edited by Sly Dixon on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

lathejack
>180
>180
Flag: Great Britain

Post by lathejack » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Isn't that gorgeous! The pre OIF BSA unit singles, like most of BSA's range throughout the 1960's, just look so good from every angle. The OIF singles, although I really like them, can look a bit goofy from some angles I think.

As for the CZ/Jawa bikes, I remember them here during the 1970's and my biking days in the 80's. They had a loyal following amongst some, but despite their lower price when new they got a fair bit of criticism for their relatively crude construction and performance.

But I have always liked 2 strokes, as long as they are not too highly tuned. Although I wasn't keen on CZ and Jawa at the time they do have a certain charm, and I quite like the later ones with improved cycle parts and Autolube. I think the Jawa 350 2 stroke twin is still available new in the UK at the moment.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:37 am

The owner of this one is truely a devotee. He has two of these 350 road bikes and several (5 or 6) scramblers for which I believe the marque is more renowned. The general build quality on this machine is pretty good on the whole but I wish they'd gone further with the cammy 500 single that they made for a couple of years. Apparently they where bought out and closed down by Cagiva a few years back which seems a shame.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:46 am

The bike is now starting and idling beautifully with the retentioning of the auto advance unit springs. The speedo has been replaced with a grey faced one that I got sight unseen from a chap who is apparently a regular at the swap meets hereabouts. It was a splendid buy as the instrument works perfectly and it even has the sticker warning against pulling the trip meter knob. Someone had clearly ignored this advice as the knob was missing but I machined one up out of a bit of stainless bar and now the gauge is complete. It should probably be a black faced dial but I'm not going to be precious especially as this is a nice clean undamaged example. The only annoying thing left to sort is the persistent oil leak. It drops a little puddle every night that tracks down the mainstand and pools at the bottom of the right hand side. Might have to pull off the inner gearbox cover again but for the moment I have installed a drip tray.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:51 am

Pulled the gearbox apart yet again in order to find this bloody leak. Not sure if that is sorted but I discovered the source of my annoying piston slap was in fack a loose primary chain. Obviously on the previous disassembly I had loosened the slipper tensioner and failed to re tension the chain. There is a witness mark on the primary cover where the chain has been connecting but fortunately no serious damage was done. The oil leak might be cured but I am not confident. I downloaded a time delay app for the iPhone so that if it still drips I clean it all off then set the camera up on time delay so that I can see where it's coming from. Delighted with the complete lack of clatter and very glad that I didn't go so far as to secure another piston .005" clearance is obviously fine!

beat
>1400
>1400

Post by beat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:46 pm

hi sly,
stil something to do,- isn't it ? :grin:

about the prim chain tensioner: mine was moving always off from the set position until I made a modivication on it.

by now I do not use it anymore, using chains from PES ( Mark Cook ) and replace them by somewhere 20 000 Km's.

beat <216

Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Post by Mark Cook » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:02 am

A bit late to pick this one up again, but I thought I'd just mention that Anita offers a custom push-rod manufacturing service. Stronger and lighter than any others. Lengths can normally be held to 0.5mm
CCM Britain motorcycles and spares manufactured exclusively by PES

+44 (0) 1709 894192
http://www.ccm-britain.co.uk (online shopping experiance)

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Hopefully sorted in that department but will keep it in mind if i start finding bits of shattered steel in inappropriate places again. Perhaps for the chap with the B25 altgough i believe he has packed out his old ones. :grin:

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Seem to have largely sorted the leaks. The bike still has its incontinance tray but it seems to be holding most of its fluids now. I've only ridden about 250 miles since my last post because we've had endless bloody rain and I'm too old for wet weather riding. Ive got starting it down to a fine art with the air lever now and the machne is really settling down into a nice reliable machine. Its the first choice now but the others do get an occasional strop around the block to keep their tempers in check!
Attachments
IMG_2282.JPG
The fleet

beat
>1400
>1400

Post by beat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:36 pm

:thumb :thumb :thumb

koncretekid
>860
>860
Flag: Canada

Post by koncretekid » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:53 pm

You need to re-arrange that fleet and repost the correct photo!
Tom
life's uncertain - go fast now

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:38 am

I do understand that it looks as though the Bitsa RE has the pride of place but it is misleading. The BSA is carefully positioned so as to allow the best access as it is (weather dependant) in daily use. For the asthetics though i agree there must be a repeat sitting :smile:

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 am

Thought I right a coda to this stream around a year after my last post. There have been several more issues with this machine, fixing a crack in the frame amongst host of other issues but I've finally decided it was in a condition for the ultimate test. This involved riding the bike to Wellington and back this weekend. Over 800miles there and back. Other than a few minor issues with a couple of bits coming loose it aquitted itself well and was actually a splendid ride. The attached photo has my friend with his Velocette Venom with the mountains in the Central Plateu around halfway to our destination.
Attachments
IMG_2562.JPG

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:28 am

Look at that blue sky! Did you do much damage when you hit that sheep? :ban
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Ha! The damage was all to my poor bum which but for the sheepskin would have fallen off! It was a spectacular day very unlike the return journey which was gusting 50 knots and raining on that same stretch. The poor old sheepskin will never be the same though as the bloody oil tank cap leaked and spread a slick of oil over it and me.
Last edited by Sly Dixon on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beat
>1400
>1400

Post by beat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 pm

:thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

beat :cool:

Canberra
>1200
>1200
Flag: Australia

Post by Canberra » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks Sly, great shot with the snow in the background. It sounds like a great trip. I remember the long climb to the plateau from Wellington side when the B50SS cruised past some guy with his head on the tank of a Triumph twin. He was so shocked at seeing us two up and with pile of camping gear on the back, he sat up and his bike almost came to a halt. We were on our way to the Cold Kiwi Rally which I believe they still have each year even now. We camped in a tent and when we rose in the morning we had to wipe 150mm snow off the bike at the campground :shock: . We wouldn't do it in a fit nowadays. We did find out why many participants were drinking Stones Ginger Wine :thumb around the evening campfires. I really learnt why Kiwis are tough (or maybe touched) and so many make it to the rally repeatedly each year. Lynn ended up with Miss Cold Kiwi award that year in the snow! Was that shot taken at a servo, the vista looks familiar?
John

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 pm

I can't claim to be that tough I'm afraid! Yes the Cold Kiwi is still a regular thing although I value my comfort too much to take part myself. As for Stones Ginger Wine you are a brave fellow indeed! Many the savage hangover I had from that in my youth. I vaguely remember wrestling with a sleeping bag and exiting a tent desperate to find any source of water after a late night session on that during a camping trip! The picture was taken by the side of the road up on the Desert Road approximately half way between Turangi and Taihape no petrol stations in sight at that point. I also spent quite a lot of my time lying on the tank (or as near as my tired body would allow). I found that I could use the pillion pegs and the tipped seat to give me quite a comfortably low profile which definitely improved the windage as it was gusting 50 knots plus up on the top. All excellent fun especially in retrospect :)