B44SS

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Sly Dixon
>380
>380
Flag: New Zealand

Re: B44SS

Postby Sly Dixon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:58 am

Don't remember saying anything about OD. The main journals showed that the wheels were very slightly off parallel with a slight pinching at the opposite side to the crank pin. Anyhow got on with the tank today. I found that the puncture wound from the horrid homemade bracket had cracks running from it so I got out the gas. No TIG in my workshop sadly so it was oxy acetylene but did the job. I've started cleaning the inside with the POR15 system which I've found excellent in the past. The cleaning solution exposed more stress cracks around the top of the central tube so it was out with the gas again. Not so pretty now but the careful use of potted panel will hide it ok. Just as well I didn't get attached to the previous paint job.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:29 am

Possibly a little OTT but as I had made a 4140 steel threaded plug to chase the threads in the top of the fork tubes I decided that a service tool was required. A piece of a RE 350 fork tube proved to be the perfect size so no more wrestling with top nuts for me.
Attachments
image.jpeg

skippy
>1200
>1200
Flag: Australia

Postby skippy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:14 pm

Well thought out. service tool Number ??????
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:06 am

Number 3 for me. I made a sprocket holder with a length of old chain attached to a square rod to tighten the big nut and I made a clutch centre pulling tool. I'm certain it isn't original as I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.
Carried on with the work of getting the tin ware in order. Bogging the dents in the tank and welding a new mounting lug onto the oil tank. There simply isn't a square inch of this machine that doesn't require work.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:27 am

Busy day today. After welding a new mounting lug onto the oil tank I spent the afternoon bogging the various dings and imperfections and managed to get a coat of primer onto everything before it got too late. It's a warm Autumn here but it was threatening and tomorrow is forecast rain so I was keen to get everything stabilized even if there are a few imperfections still to be sorted. Not sure what I can do now until the paint hardens and the bloody Platers give me my top end studs and sundry other bits. Tidy up I suppose.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Postby beat » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Sly Dixon wrote:There simply isn't a square inch of this machine that doesn't require work.

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

and this for the rest of your live..... :laugh :laugh

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:54 am

It did rain, so pleased to have the tinware stashed away with a coat of paint. Cleaned the shed so i could see he surfaces again and made an addional spacer for the forks so the wrong length spring will be the same as the correct spring. More nice free machining aluminium into swarf. Added an inch each side so no off roading for me. Then i sorted out the horrible tank mount that had done all the damage to the tank. Cannot for the life of me work out what went wrong with the original to require its replacement with this piece of cretin craft. Bashed a new one out of some 30x3mm flat bar and braised it on. Haven't used the gas so much in ages and its quite pleasing to get my torch hand in again. Looking at the frame again I realize that the paint on the frame is going to look a bit shabby with fresh painted tinware and having just gased off a fair bit of the down tube I'm tempted to get out the stripper again. Alternatively I could just brush on a nice coat of black polyeurethane. Needs more thouht.
Finally ive pulled off what looks like an orignial Lucas ignition switch which sadly is without a key. My brother has a large collection of Wilmot Breeden style keys so with any luck ill find a match or at worst a correct series key to reset the lock to.
Last edited by Sly Dixon on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:13 am

Sly Dixon wrote:It did rain, so pleased to have the tinware stashed away with a coat of paint. Cleaned the shed so i could see he surfaces again and made an addional spacer for the forks so the wrong length spring will be the same as the correct spring. More nice free machining aluminium into swarf. Added an inch each side so no off roading for me. Then i sorted out the horrible tank mount that had done all the damage to the tank. Cannot for the life of me work out what went wrong with the original to require its replacement with this piece of cretin craft. Bashed a new one out of some 30x3mm flat bar and braised it on. Haven't used the gas so much in ages and its quite pleasing to get my torch hand in again. Looking at the frame again I realize that the paint on the frame is going to look a bit sabby with fresh painted tinware and having just gased of a fair bit of the down tube I'm tempted to get out the stripper again. Alternatively I could just brush on a nice coat of black polyeurethane. Needs more thouht.
Finally ive pulled off what looks like an orignial Lucas ignition switch which sadly is without a key. My brother has a large collection of Wilmot Breeden style keys so with any luck ill find a match or at worst a correct series key to reset the lock to.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Bit of gauge plate that will form the base for the stud.

Barry Creary
>1000
>1000

Postby Barry Creary » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:23 am

Nice work Sly &lt;069 you have got the frame strip so why not paint with 2pack while it's stripped <201

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:13 am

Could do although i dont think its as tough as the one pot chassis paint which i can brush on without a primer. So much tidier with a brush no overspray so i can do it indoors . I do have plenty of black basecoat though? More thinking to be done. You are right though the frame must be stripped.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:51 am

Argh! Stripping the frame is a foul job. Back is nearly broken (both mine and the job of stripping it) haven't been able to find the frame number though. Where should it be?
Attachments
image.jpeg

koncretekid
>640
>640
Flag: Canada

Postby koncretekid » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:15 am

Frame number is stamped into the left side of the front motor mount forging(casting?) on the frame.

I've done several of those frame paint strips - - apply paint stripper, scrape, wire brush, do it again, rinse it thoroughly, and best finished up with sandblasting. Paint it within 24 hours or watch it rust. I've heard that some powder coaters will blast and coat for as little as $200, which would certainly save a couple of days work plus paint, but I'm still working for 10¢ an hour, so I continue to do the hard way.

Tom
life's uncertain - go fast now

jim-nz
>20
>20

Postby jim-nz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:01 am

Hey Sly. I was bidding against you in the trademe auction for this. I just bought that 72 b50t that was on trademe in Auckland, listed as a 74. haven't seen it yet as i had it shipped to my fathers place in Marton (i live in Wellington). He thinks it looks good though and is more complete than the pictures made it look if you include the spares that came with it. Will see it on thursday.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 am

Ha! It was a good battle that! It has been an interesting project with pretty much nothing apart from the wheels which didn't require repair or renovation but it will be s nice machine once I've finished. Good luck with the B50 might see you on the streets. :)

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:50 am

Mountains of shagging around over the last couple of days. My love of POR15 has been somewhat dented. I purchased the Chassis Coat which turned out to be satin finish and just didnt look that good. I should have taken the advice to use the basecoat and 2 pot clear but there is no fool like an old one. Anyway purchased a spay tin of gloss POR15 top coat today which will at least lend a lustre to the frame. Finally got my top end fastenings back from the platers and started setting up the rocker box. It appears that the push rods are a bit short and that one is shorter than the other. Not sure if i can shim them up .050" or so or whether they need to be replaced? Advice would be appreciated. At the moment the tappets are at the very end of their adjustment and the tappet end of the inlet rocker is probably hitting the inside of the screw cap. I cant put it back on with the tappets in relaxed position. At least the fresh zinc plated nuts and studs look good. Ill post a vanity pic later.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:57 am

Ordered a new pair of pushrods from British Only in Austria which will hopefully arrive next week. Wierdly hot sunny weather for late April in the Southern Hemisphere so decided to get on with the tank and other tinware. Lots of sanding and quite a lot more filler and everything looks ready for another primer/undercoat.
Attachments
IMG_2064.JPG
BSA washing on tue line

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:30 am

I'm back in the church of POR15. I should not of used it to paint the frame but for ancillary part it is the go!
I have spent the day stripping and cleaning foot pegs and and battery boxes etc and have painted them all with the Chassis paint. It definitely does the job of protecting against atmospheric degradation. Wish I hadn't used it on the frame but life is short!
Attachments
foot pegs.JPG
dangling from the roof on a wire
battery box.JPG
nice finish on a rust pitted surface

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:36 am

ridiculously pleased that I managed to find a perfect fitting key for the ignition lock in my brother's extensive collection of Wilmot Breeden styled keys. Totally justifies his collecting mountains of crap and storing it! Got some topcoat on the bike today. Went for the black so I could get my gun hand in again on small bits incase I cocked one up although it all went pretty well. Next sunny day the tank is going to be done.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Postby beat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:54 pm

:thumb :thumb :thumb

David S
>220
>220
Flag: United States of America

Postby David S » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am

Looking good my friend! Keep us posted on your progress. :thumb :cool:

David S

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:50 am

The tank got its paint this morning and looks pretty bloody good in the nearest I could get to Flamboyant Red. No gold base but a two stage base coat involving a metallic magenta colour and then translucent candy colour prior to a clear top coat. all in all pretty pleased with the outcome. It looks better in reality than it does in the picture. It seems to be the limit of the digital media to truly represent red colours. In reality it looks like a candy apple. Just discovered if I change the angle of the laptop screen it looks a lot more realistic.
Attachments
IMG_2074.JPG

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:35 am

For a bit of encouragement I posed the tank and seat on the frame. Setting up the wiring harness now and hopefully will be ready to put the motor in the frame by the weekend.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Barry Creary
>1000
>1000

Postby Barry Creary » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:52 am

Very nice work Sly :thumb :thumb :thumb

David S
>220
>220

Postby David S » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Great work Sly! It's starting to look like a bike again!

David S

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:17 am

Thanks guys! I does feel like a while since it looked like anything but a bunch of bits! The bike came with a nice new wiring harness so wiring it up should be a doddle. I'm used to making up my own and getting the racing braid company that makes flash yacht ropes to braid them for me. This all appears to be the genuine colour coded version. My usual is all colour coded brown as that was the colour of the wire that I inherited from my father's collection of stuff. Mostly it's bleeding obvious where stuff goes but it would be quite handy for positioning everything at this early stage to have a wiring diagram. If anyone can point me at a pdf or similar that would be fab. :)

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 am

No worries, found the wiring diagram in the workshop manual. Who'd a thought?!

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Postby minetymenace » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 pm

Sly Dixon wrote:Mostly it's bleeding obvious where stuff goes

Sly Dixon wrote:found the wiring diagram in the workshop manual. Who'd a thought?!

:laugh
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:48 am

One more pretty picture of the tank. Last one without the motor in I promise. Question for the Panel though, knee pads or no? I'm of two minds whether to glue rubber pads to the side of the tank. It seems a bit barbaric but then they do look quite stylish.
Attachments
IMG_2081.JPG

Malcolms Lad
>200
>200

Postby Malcolms Lad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Build the rest first mate and see if it looks incomplete, that colour is very tasty i would be reluctant to cover it after you've done such a nice job!
How to rupture yourself in one easy lesson!

kommando
>1400
>1400
Flag: Ireland

Postby kommando » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:41 pm

I run without the rubber pads but the sides do get scratches, if you do put the pads on use one of the 3M products which are not permanent and will peel off, even some 3M 2 sided tape would work.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Yes thats the plan i agree. Get it all together and decide then. I like the idea of a reversable adhesive, i was planning to use a product called Ados F2 which we have over here which is a contact adhesive but can take paint with it it if you pull it off.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:57 am

lots of little bits and pieces while I wait for the pushrods to arrive. I fitted the shock absorbers my mate gave me. They are Showas not Paioli but look in good order and will be great until I'm flush again. They aren't slim pattern but they don't look too bad and they don't seem to interfere with anything (yet). I fitted the brake light switch and fettled up the front guard and fitted it. The back wheel got the treatment, I checked it over again and greased the brake cam and made a barrel nut for the brake rod as the nylock with a bit of pipe as a spacer seems a bit crude. I also refitted the old rear mudguard as I can't justify and further large packages arriving at the moment. It is cracked and a bit ugly but will serve until the replacement appears. The wiring is going well and I will get hold of a battery soon so I can get it all up and running electrically. Couldn't believe the price of a bloody condenser at the local parts shop. $30! It took a while to explain to the Gen Y behind the counter what a condenser was but they had one and I paid up and shut up, now off to find a ribbon for my typewriter.
Attachments
image.jpeg

David S
>220
>220

Postby David S » Sun May 01, 2016 7:16 pm

Sly,
Not to be picky but I believe that the rear brake backing plate should be polished aluminum.Or was it too rough to clean up? I remember when I bought my 68 441 in 1978 parts were dirt cheap from the older dealers.Today with the internet and a lot of new made repro parts.It is easier to get the parts you need,but the prices have gone up quite a bit since 78! Your bike is coning along nicely!

David S

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Sun May 01, 2016 9:34 pm

It is an aluminium brake plate but it has been powdercoated. Not my favourite finish but sound enough. It could certainly be removed so i may well look at it. Cheers

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Tue May 03, 2016 2:44 am

Finally got the push rods in the post today and fitted them up. The old ones must have both been shortened as the tappets needed to be unwound a long way. Cover caps fit nicely now and the rocker box is all torqued down and the motor can now go in the frame.
Attachments
rockerbox.JPG

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Tue May 03, 2016 7:51 am

Motor is in. It amazes me what a superbly light unit the whole engine and gearbox is especially when you compare it to the weight of everything else. The wheels weight a freaking ton! Nice kit though. Fettled up the TLS front brake totally dismantled cleaned and greased and reassembled. Mush less resistance in the mechanism should add stopping power. Starting to get seriously close to a start up. No point in rushing though as there are loads of rats and mice jobs to do before then.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 am

Had a crack at the ignition wiring this evening. Rather peculiar problem occurred in that the wire from the points that goes to the condenser and the coil has to go through the hole in the side of the points bay (before it goes through the D shaped hole between the cover and the case) but this hole is almost entirely obscured by the points back plate. It will just go through but half way through the adjustment arc provided by the slots under the mounting screws there is a raised edge on the backing plate that completely cuts off the hole. Do I just have to set everything up with half the adjustment or am I missing something?

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Postby minetymenace » Wed May 04, 2016 11:48 am

Without turning the engine, mark the relative position of the points cam and plate with some Tippex. Knock the points cam off its taper and rotate the cam and the back plate together until the hole is clearest (maintaining the coordinated Tippex marks and checking the points plate screws can still be fitted). Pinch up the points plate and taper, connect wire, reset the timing by your preferred method. Sometimes everything conspires against you!
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Postby Sly Dixon » Wed May 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Yes but wwwwwhhhhyyyyy? Sorry I'll suck it up now and get on with it.

David S
>220
>220

Postby David S » Thu May 05, 2016 12:00 am

Sly,
I am in the process of fitting a later 12 volt ignition system on my 66 B44E 441 as I could not get it to run well on the ET system.I had much the same problem as you when I fitted the later points plate and auto advance.I looked at the ET points plate and I saw that there was a notch cut out in the plate so that the point wire would not be fouled.I simply marked out and cut a notch in my later points plate. Plenty of clearance for the wire.I am also using a podtronics reg/rect.with a start capacitor as there is no place for a battery on the 66 B44E.

David S

Return to “Project bikes”