Frame I.D.

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Keith
>60
>60
Flag: England

Frame I.D.

Postby Keith » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to the origins of a frame that I have acquired.

It is OIF and was clearly built for a narrow lug unit single engine. It appears to be very well made and is nickel plated. It is stamped 'MX01' on the headstock. I do have the swinging arm for it as well.

I thought possibly Cheney but Simon says definitely not. The previous owner thought it was possibly made by Tony Burgess but I can't find any info on him or whether he is still around.

The frame will be built up as an MX bike when I find a suitable engine, either a B25 or preferably a B44.

Any help with identification greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Keith.

Photo of frame.

LONGSTROKE
>80
>80
Flag: Cayman Islands

Re: Frame I.D.

Postby LONGSTROKE » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:31 pm

A few more pictures might help, close up of head stock and rear engine mounts and top shocker mounts, and swing-arm.

LONGSTROKE
>80
>80
Flag: Cayman Islands

Re: Frame I.D.

Postby LONGSTROKE » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:40 am

The 1st frames Eric made for the unit BSA motor in 66 were twin down tube similar to this one. They were almost the same basic geometry as the Victor Frame. I also don't believe this to be a Cheney frame because firstly the brazing is not neat enough, The thing with Cheney frames - especially the earlier ones was that they were brazed and welded by craftsmen(as were the earlier CCMs 72 - 73) the brazing was outstanding. Have a look at an original 72/ 73 CCMs headstock welding by Mike Eatough and you'll see what I mean. Your frame also as a seat loop mount the same as a Victor GP - Cheney didn't do this. My best bet is that someone as taken a Cheney basic twin downtube designed frame and made something similar with a few of their own ides thrown in! A Burgess frame is a good bet!

Return to “Project bikes”