Rough Starfire project

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Crofty1984
>40
>40
Flag: Great Britain

Rough Starfire project

Postby Crofty1984 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Many members have been kind enough to give advice in the Tech section on my bike, so thought I'd share a bit about it, and some pictures if I can get it to work.
Soo...
A few months ago I saw an advert for a Starfire that was near me. It looked a bit rough and was a bit leaky (as described in the advert, to be fair). Like a clever person, I was only going for a look and purposely didn't bring a deposit to make sure I definitely didn't buy it.
That evening, as I was driving home with it in the back of my mate's van I had to admit my plan had somehow come unstuck. It's a bit of a blur.

Upon closer inspection the bike (now named Beezer, obviously) could be described as: "Complete, leaky, eventually starts, doesn't run properly, all chrome as rough as a badgers arse or brushed over with Hammerite and an old fence brush, tired".
I absolutely love it!

As a bit of background my other classic is a 1979 750 Bonneville. It's original condition, matching numbers, etc. etc. I HATE "The I Word" when talking about classic bikes - they're built to ride, dammit! - but it is the sort of thing where you are almost the custodian of your investment and need to keep it "as is" for posterity. It is a cracking bike though, I have to admit.

For this I wanted something I could tinker and learn with, that was simple to keep going, could be usable transport, something where you wouldn't immediately lose £500 value if you painted the tank the wrong shade of red and I didn't have to be so precious about it.

So for me Beezer is perfect.

The first job was to get him running right (yes, him). The issue I know now I had was 8-stroking. Incidentally, don't google that with safe search off, it's accompanied by the words "inch" and "his" far too often for my liking.
The only way I can describe it in type is that where as you rev through a gear normally you get rrrrrrrRRRRRRRaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!
Whereas with this it stutters halfway up the rev range so you get rrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRaaa BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! like a massive flat spot that it just can't punch through. It's a condition of running too rich, so that the charge in the cylinder only ignites every other cycle.
I found this video explains it well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wzph3hL6EE (OK it's a 2 stroke that is 4 stroking, but it's the same principle)

Right, let's see if I can get a picture to work:

bsa small.jpg
Last edited by Crofty1984 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crofty1984
>40
>40

Re: Rough Starfire project

Postby Crofty1984 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 pm

OK, didn't like the Google Drive shareable link.
Last edited by minetymenace on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Which I deleted, you can edit your own posts :)

koncretekid
>620
>620
Flag: Canada

Postby koncretekid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Congrats on your purchase! Buying a complete bike is absolutely the best way, not like me who buys basket cases which cost a fortune just to locate the rest of the parts. Get it starting and running good, and replace the worst items as you find the time and money.
Tom
life's uncertain - go fast now

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Postby beat » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:10 pm

looking good !

the only thing is missing: a puddle of oil underneath the engine.... <201 <201

:mrgreen:

Crofty1984
>40
>40

Postby Crofty1984 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 pm

beat wrote:looking good !

the only thing is missing: a puddle of oil underneath the engine.... <201 <201

:mrgreen:

Oh I can assure you that it's oil-puddle-creation-mechanism is in EXCELLENT condition!
In fact my mate found it hilarious (thankfully) that in the space of an hour or so it already did a little wee in the back of his van.

On a related note, when draining the oil tank, if you're using a funnel to catch the oil, make sure it can flow the oil through the thin end faster than the tank will empty out. Or you get oil all over the garage floor. So I've heard.

Return to “Project bikes”