bbenxe's B50T flat/street tracker

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

bbenxe
>20
>20
Flag: Great Britain

bbenxe's B50T flat/street tracker

Postby bbenxe » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Hullo!

Picked up a semi-running (MOT'd but not very healthy...) B50T a few months ago which would run a for a while and then start misfiring. That all turned out to be related to an ignition coil shorting out when warm because of it's clamp done up far too tight. Found this warning in some Boyer Bransden literature (even though I'm using a Wassel) after the misfiring was fixed by replacing the coil, but then started to come back 150 miles or so later.

Here's the bike as bought with the awful supertrapp that kept falling apart.

bsa1.JPG

bsa2.JPG

bsa3.JPG

Since then I've put a silencer that works (OK, stays on but doesn't necessarily silence very much... fine with me), replaced 32mm Amal with 30mm as the port hadn't been opened up to match, fitted a reed valve to the crankcase breather which I've strung underneath the tank, added the PES braided oil feed instead of the original hose, and made up a sumpguard. Oh, and very importantly, added some decals to the tank.

bsa4.JPG

bsa5.JPG

bsa6.JPG

bsa7.JPG

I've also added the PES finned and magnetic plugged sump, but in doing so disturbed the non-return valve by poking up the scavenge tube so have new bits on order to stop it wet sumping now.

Current plans, in rough order are:

-Swap the awful gold bars for some black flat track bars.
-Put on a larger front drive sprocket as have been running out of revs at about 55mph at the moment. Think it's a 17T I've ordered.
-Smarten up the sidepanels.
-Either get rid of of the front mudguard and make up a brace or keep it and polish up the alloy.
Get rid of the red stripes on the rear mudguard.
-Get some paint on the tank.
-Oil filter.
-Fit MX cam.
-Open up the inlet to 32mm
-Get the frame stripped and repainted. It's been painted a metallic blue at some point and done pretty well, then sprayed black over the top which rubbing off in all sorts of places now.

Really enjoying the big single. I've got a little one (Matchless 250) and another big one (S*zuki DR600) but this thing is just so much fun on the road, and I've been very impressed with the 8" TLS front brake thus far.
66 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler, 71 BSA B50T road, 81 Montesa 200

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Re: bbenxe's B50T flat/street tracker

Postby minetymenace » Wed May 24, 2017 5:12 pm

:ok
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

bbenxe
>20
>20

Postby bbenxe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Been putting lots of miles on recently, rides out with friends, the VMCC, and the AJSMOC. Running very well, but really feeling the need for more teeth on drive sprocket. Fortunately Mr Hingley is letting me borrow his pullers if he can find them in his garage so I can put on a 17T sprocket.

small.jpg

New handlebars look great, and I've made up a fork brace now that I've yanked the front mudguard. Might be going to a 19" rim at some point so left a bit of room for that.

small-4.jpg

small-5.jpg

All the black paint is slowly rubbing off revealing a more successful coat of blue underneath...

small-2.jpg

small-3.jpg

And when I had the front wheel out I noticed the stud for the 'torque arm' (well, that goes into the notch on the forks) has barely enough thread for the nylock that's being used to hold on to. The nut only gets about halfway on before it runs out of stud.

DSC_0827.JPG

So two questions:

1) Does that stud look too short? There's a washer between the disc and fork, and then another between fork and nut that could be creating clearance issues but it all slides together nicely at the moment. I'll order another stud to compare.

2) Any suggestions on a product that might help me rub off the rest of the amateur black paint to reveal the blue underneath? Wasn't sure at first but the bike looks a bit tatty, and then I saw this bike and am now tempted...

IMG_20170606_135908 copy.jpg

bbenxe
>20
>20

Postby bbenxe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Well, my BSA is going very well, fractured the kickstart return spring and then vibrated off the gear lever when I forgot to loctite it back on after replacing the spring (fortunately found it on the roundabout right by my office...) recently but really enjoying riding it almost every day apart from that!

Found that a rub down with some paint thinners has revealed the coat of blue underneath. This bike was dispatched to Duarte, California in 1971 and the blue seems a very good quality job. Did any bikes come out of the factory blue...?

blue.jpg

Haven't got around to putting on the 17T gearbox sprocket yet so still feels quite undergeared, but after reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7733 I'm even contemplating a 19T... :thumb

midgie
<1100
<1100
Flag: England

Postby midgie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

No bikes left the factory blue to my knowledge. I think a 19t gearbox sprocket is making it overgeared, I run a 17t and 52t rear which I find gives good all round performance. but your choice of course.

bbenxe
>20
>20

Postby bbenxe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 pm

B50 continues to be a great ride, although it took me down to the wire as a simple head gasket replacement nearly lead to me missing the Bristol Distinguished Gentleman's Ride as I found one of the domed nuts holding on the head's oil supply had stripped with very little time to get a new one in the post.

Many thanks to Ian Hingley for offering to take one off his Victor to help me out before the postman came through in my hour of need!

DGR_Ben_5288.jpg

Return to “Project bikes”