my b50

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

b50whisperer
>20
>20
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: New Zealand

my b50

Post by b50whisperer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 am

b501.jpg
it is our 40 year anniversary this year. i bought NG 02686 for nzd 800 in 1977 and fell in love with her immediately. Of course it was a love and displeasure relationship, but mostly love. Oil leaked at will from the gearbox sprocket etc, it wouldnt change out of 4th it steered like a truck it was technically challenging to start and at the most inopportune times. My flatmate at the time had also owned a b50 and was a mechanical wizard so we set about replacing valves & guides, oil seals changed spring in gearbox , replaced steering head bearings, etc. But the most dramatic improvement was fitting an MX cam which imho should have been standard, now she wanted to run. She still leaked oil but a lot less of it now. It was loaned to a friend for a year and returned in better shape than before, but i didnt like the size and shape of the 3.5 gal tank so replaced it with a triumph blazer 2.5 gal tank. There was always a gap between the tank and the seat which annoyed me. I put on a amal mk2 carb & then she got stolen for 6 months but fortunately returned although in a dreadful state. In new Zealand the b50ss was the only model offered and after a while i hankered for a b50t. A conversion was the only option.
b502.jpg
i had the frame nickeled, sourced a aluminium 1.5gal tank, 20" wheels were out of the question so a triumph adventurer 21" was fitted along with an adventurer dual seat, i liked the idea of a rev counter so fitted a drive and rsm head unit. had it painted and then didnt ridden it for 20 years due to a serious mv accident. Late last year i had a boyer mk3 unit installed gave the pilot jet port a good poking had the clutch replaced, oversize piston and rings new swing arm bearings and back on the road again. Starts amazingly well hot or cold, running 98 octane eliminates pinking and everywhere i stop there is always some eager person wanting to ask me about that amazing looking motorcycle. Which had always been the case really.They just look so darned good.
b503.jpg
b50.jpg

Victor500T
>140
>140
Flag: Great Britain

Re: my b50

Post by Victor500T » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Looks superb. Hope mine will look similar before too much longer. They must be one of the best looking 'proper' or 'old fashioned' style bikes ever made. XT500s looks like very poor imitations and were designed quite a few years later. As for H*nda XLs, they all looked ugly imho. You've made some great mods to yours. Never tried an MX cam (I'd like to - missed one on ebay a few months ago for about £30). But my old one went very nicely with the std cam, which is why I didn't bother at the time.

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Post by beat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm

:thumb :thumb :thumb

b50whisperer
>20
>20

Post by b50whisperer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:30 am

Thanks Beat and good luck with your own b50t. We are agreed that this is one of the best looking bikes ever. I never understood the criticisms of the OIF range as to me the styling was amazing and the 8" brake looked and stopped well, the speedo amd tach looked much better than the previous grey versions and then all those other improvements. I had heard that Y*maha wheeled a b50 into their R&D shop and were instructed to make one of these but better. and if you look there are many similarities. The xt, tt yamahas were a very good machine.
I bought parts for the b50 30 / 35 years ago for what seemed very little at that time compared to what the cost of things have become, I don't think I could afford the mods I made today. A side cover was nzd25 then and now I looked and see them for nzd144.... :shock:

b50whisperer
>20
>20

Post by b50whisperer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:34 am

my apologies, should have made my previous message to Victor500T.& Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your victor in the near future

Barry Creary
<1100
<1100
Flag: Australia

Post by Barry Creary » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:16 am

I bought a side cover on eBay for a member in Canada and I think it was about $15 Australia dollars so keep a eye on eBay if you have the time :idea: