Acquired B50SS in NH

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Sbanker
>10
>10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

Acquired B50SS in NH

Post by Sbanker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:35 am

Just picked this up a few weeks ago. Not a barn find but a shed find. Mostly there and the critical stuff is in good shape like the tank, seat, and matching numbers motor. Wiring is a disaster and has a blown head gasket for starters. Tearing it down and bringing it back to life over thise cold New England winter. I'll be back for help...

My biggest worry is the wheels as they are in need of rechroming and I suspect this is gonna cost me so any good ideas are appreciated. I am very comfortable doing all the work myself as I spend most of my spare time playing with old cars. This is my first bike restoration and so far it is very rewarding. It is not my first ride by any means but first bike restoration.

I am also interested in learning about stock paint and color schemes as I have not seen a tank like this with no paint, just a sticker, a red frame and black handlebars and fenders. I am interested in knowing what it looked like originally, if different than this scheme and don't know how to find this out.

Looking forward to using the B50 forum!

Shawn Banker
Attachments
BSA.jpg
NH BSA B50SS

mlb50
>180
>180
Flag: Australia

Re: Acquired B50SS in NH

Post by mlb50 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 am

Nice find, some PO has had it apart and done their thing to it. My B50 was a similar condition barn find (ex Baltimore BSA Sept 1971) imported to Melbourne, Australia by a dealer. Plenty of good info on the forum if you do a search.

A couple of tips (and there will many others) -

1. Teardown the crank and a) clean out the sludge trap, b) replace the con-rod with a Carillo.

2. Thoroughly clean out the Oil In Frame, the rear end gets sludge after years and that must not be liberated into a fresh motor.

3. Fit an Electronic Ignition. I like TriSpark and Pazon Altair both very good products.

And there's lots to like about a black frame and red tank BSA! look through the forum sections and you'll see images of the original factory posters.

Have fun, Mick. :thumb
B50 @ 10:1 - what's a leg between friends?

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:08 am

<135 to the forum Sbanker.

I have updated your profile with your location, if you don't like it, please edit or frown at the computer.

Don't forget to add your bike to the B50 database, and keep us posted :)
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

midgie
>1200
>1200

Post by midgie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:31 pm

If this is what I suspect a 71 b50ss it should have a steel petrol tank painted red with the black centre and side stripes, red side panels, red mudguards with black centre stripe on front mudguard only and black frame. only if you want it in standard trim of course. good luck with the project.

midgie
>1200
>1200

Post by midgie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 pm

midgie wrote:If this is what I suspect a 71 b50ss it should have a steel petrol tank painted red with the black centre and side stripes, red side panels, red mudguards with black centre stripe on front mudguard only and black frame. only if you want it in standard trim of course. good luck with the project.
Forgot to say the alloy tank its wearing is from a 71 b25t.

Sbanker
>10
>10

Post by Sbanker » Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Made some progress on my project.
Stripped frame and repainted everything, new grease, new bearings, a few misc pieces here and there.
Engine bored to next size, new piston, rings. I kept the stock connecting rod and I know, I should have upgraded.
New valves, guides and cleaned up seats.
Fixed shifting issue which turned out to be a crusted up cam plate and not the spring plate.
Cleaned up carburetor and reassembled.
Painted tins. I decided to go with my favorite color, a paint I had on my shelf.
Nephew made me decals for the side panels and tank (not installed yet).
Flushed and started polishing process for tank. It is in very good shape with only a couple small defects.
Wired the ignition and charging system using a Banker Built Harness. That is slang for I made my own. I used existing electronic pick up that came
with it. Wiring is temporary but I am getting spark so it works. Next is to clean up the wiring and make it permanent and do the lighting and horn.
New grips on handle bars (had to paint bars until I buy a different set).
New battery.
New oils all around.

Stuff I still need or need to do before I can ride this season:
License plate brackets
Side kick stand
Turn Signals
Front foot peg, shifter and kick starter rubber covers
Electrical box - I may just make a box to hold the key and horn and find this at some point.
Wheels are a bit rusty but good enough to use for this first shakedown season of riding

Install clutch lever
Install speedometer (I need a better figure 8 bracket)
Wire lights and horn
Other loose ends I am not thinking about right now

I need to set the timing and fire it up so I am off to researching timing.
Attachments
Bike 2.JPG
Bankers B50SS -1
Bike 1.JPG
Bankers B50SS - 2

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace » Tue May 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Looking good. I think you should try and source the grab rail and I think your rear mudguard is going to flap about without it. Electrics boxes appear on ebay regularly....keep posting :thumb
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

Sbanker
>10
>10

Post by Sbanker » Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Yes, I need the grab rail for sure and eventually, will buy the electrical box too.

koncretekid
>860
>860
Flag: Canada

Post by koncretekid » Thu May 31, 2018 5:43 am

Peter Quick, BSAUnitSingles, see link at top of this page, is in New Hampshire and can supply most of the new and used parts to finish your bike.

Tom
life's uncertain - go fast now

Sbanker
>10
>10

Post by Sbanker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Okay, I need some help getting my baby fired up.

Bike is together and ignition is working fine. I set timing (non-running) to 34 BTDC and am trying to fire it up. It is getting gas and I have tried the starting fluid route.

I have the decompressor lever set so I can relieve compression and all seems well. As I crank with full compression (not relieving compression) motor turns over but on compression stroke, clutch will slip unless I relieve some compression most of the time. It has popped but has not started yet. I even tried to pop start in second gear without success (tire skids). I compressed clutch springs to the point that it will probably be impossible to wire them as the holes are disappearing. Any less slack and clutch slips even easier. With a new piston, rings and bored cylinder, it looks like I am getting around 100 psi compression and it has not yet run. Is that adequate? I hope so because any higher and I won't be able to kick this thing over.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I am assuming the old clutch, although it looked decent when I disassembled it, is shot or at least the springs are shot and need to be replaced. This would get me to be able to kick it over and have it grab enough to drive the crank. Clutch lever/adjusting screw is set so it has a bit of clearance when not pulled as well.

Thoughts to try next? Summer is slipping by here in the northeast area of the US and we don't have much of one to begin with.

Shawn

skippy
>1400
>1400
Flag: Australia

Post by skippy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:39 am

Decompress till you are past compression then kick it over using the momentum to carry the piston over the next compression. you get better intake induction that way and there is no real pressure on the clutch.
As for the clutch it looks like it needs some work on the plates, others will give better advice on that than me.
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes