New Ignition

Here You can ad suppliers and new parts.

Moderator: minetymenace

Mark Cook
>1400
>1400
Flag: England

New Ignition

Postby Mark Cook » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Just came across a new ignition system. Very cheap and I have no idea what it's like. I have one on order and will publish the results as I find them. Good bit is they seem to have addressed some of the problems with other cheap units.

Oh forgot to say these should retail at about £66.00ukp

Distributors info.

12V Electronic Ignition System for Twin and Single cylinder unit models with side points. European manufactured exclusively using premium quality components, with a unique billet stator plate design (CNC manufactured stator/trigger). No fragile pick up coils or exposed soldered joints which are often easily damaged. Our stator plates have all component parts fully encapsulated in resin to avoid these issues.

Super compact module design for easy mounting, also incorporates multi pin wiring connectors, so the ignition pack can be removed from your wiring loom for maintenance.
Avoid carrying dual stocks, as our Kit is designed for single cylinder and twin cylinder applications.

Supplied boxed and with full installation instructions.

61495.jpg
61495.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 980 times

This is a PES public service post. ;-)

27-09-10

I now have an evaluation kit in stock, it looks very well made and from a mechanical point of view I'm more than happy to stock and retail it. Once I manage to capture Gerry for an afternoon we'll put it to test and publish the honest results. I have a pazon, and if someone has a spare boyer I'll test that too.

W Ignition kit.JPG

£70.00ukp + Vat and postage
Last edited by Mark Cook on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCM Britain motorcycles and spares manufactured exclusively by PES

+44 (0) 1709 894192
http://www.ccm-britain.co.uk (online shopping experiance)

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Re: New Ignition

Postby Ian Hingley » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Need a test pilot for a 'compare and contrast' exercise with a Boyer??

Or I could borrow an Interspan from you for a 'three way shoot out'. Sounds like a bike mag test!
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 96 Aprilia Moto 6.5, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5

rhino
<1100
<1100

Postby rhino » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:53 am

Do you still need a battery with this one Mark?

Or can you wire direct from the alternator?

At what rpm does it produce a spark?

It's about time someone came up with a more affordable nishnosh :ban

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Postby minetymenace » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 am

I think this is the Wassall one that came out in June, it is just an electronic ignition, not a rectifier/regulator, and I think they use the same unit (same advance and retard) in all versions. You can get it in a Magneto replacement form, so I wonder if it will work down to 6v levels....I guess when mark gets one we will find out.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

oifman
>10
>10

Postby oifman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Just installed one of these units so thought I'd post my findings etc in the absence of anyone else already having done so:
Mainly choose this unit for ease of fitting- as I'm not intending to run without battery, I can dispense with the capacitor and hey presto, the control box just fits snuggly into the capaitors rubber housing (photo attached). At the other end, you'll have to drill another cabl;e exit hole as the original one is obscurred by the pick-up stator. Set-up was very straight forward- starting is still typical B50 (ie don't dare twist the throttle until the engine has fired) and it does run smoothly on tick-over. Haven't road tested the unit yet but looking at the strobe timing it seems to be doing what it says on the box. Hope this helps.
wassallignition.jpg
Snug fit into ex-capacitor rubber housing
statorend.jpg
New exit hole required- original one with rubber bung

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Postby minetymenace » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Good write-up oifman. If you had rotated the stator (and the rotor) 180° would you be able to use the existing hole?

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Postby beat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 pm

dos it says anything abouth the way it is working ?
Capacitiv ore Inductive System :?: :?:
ore " Wundertüte " :?: :?: :?: ( say Blackbox ) :shock: :uhu <201
beat

Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Postby Mark Cook » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:46 am

I still haven't tested one yet Beat. I would guess that it is inductive as it uses the standard coil. Inductive coils tend to arc over internally with capacitive systems.

Going to have a proper electronics area sorted in a few months I hope, so I hope I can experiment more.

Mark

twelveax7
>20
>20

Postby twelveax7 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:54 am

That sounds great ,, I hope this system has a SINGLE FIRE MODE for single cylinders though. If you are running a large camshaft with overlap on the valve timing, Pazons/Boyers using the wasted spark will fire when the fuel mixture is sucked into the intake valve and it will fire through the carb. Motor will not run. If your bike is stock it will run fine because the valve will be closed when the goofy wasted spark fires. On a twin, this is not a problem. Check on that if you will i'd like to know.

Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Postby Mark Cook » Sun May 06, 2012 12:18 pm

To be honest, this, as with most ignition systems are only points replacements. No power advantage should be expected. If you are serious about performance, Interspan is the answer sadly.

Mark in t north

steve m
>1400
>1400

Postby steve m » Mon May 07, 2012 12:33 am

they are nearly all wasted spark, i guess it's about ease of manufacture (cheapness !). how hard would it be to replace a magnet with something the same weight. even if it is just for the competition people.
twelveax7,
there was an almost heated discussion about this some time ago, so it's been talked through. do a search for "wasted spark" and see how you go.

steve

oifman
>10
>10

Postby oifman » Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Sorry not to have followed up earlier. No, rotating the pickupwill not help- you'll still need the extra hole. looks to be working well on the road and starting (cold) is now down to first or second kick. Very happy with it.

steve m
>1400
>1400

Postby steve m » Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 am

just had a thought (i have one now and again :roll: ).
if you remove a magnet it will muck up the rev count or whatever so your advance/retard would be half what it should be until your revs got to over 6000 (if max advance came in at 3000). that sound about right?
anyway, bit off topic.

steve

Norman_John
>140
>140

Postby Norman_John » Tue May 15, 2012 1:08 pm

If you removed a magnet then it makes it even harder to start. Many electronic ignitions go to sleep when the motor is not turning and it would then take a camshaft rev for it to know you are turning the engine over and wake up. If you can kick the engine over 2 revs of course, you would be fine, but you would probably need to be 32St and break the kickstart!

Return to “Suppliers and New Products”