Bespoke Cables

Here You can ad suppliers and new parts.

Moderator: minetymenace

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Bespoke Cables

Post by Ian Hingley » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 am

Hi All

As some of you are aware the front brake on the IHO is scarily bad. Downright dangerous on the road. It's driven me to consider a disc front end.

Fitted new shoes. No improvement.

With the shoes biting I could continue to pull the lever back to the bars, as if the inner cable was stretching. The gauge of the inner cable looked more like throttle cable than front brake.

I use MP forks and British Hub Co hub, so I wasn't likely to pick up a replacement off the shelf. However I decided to try the Venhill custom cables service. They're probably the biggest name in bike cable (and hose) manufacture in the UK. Don't know why I didn't think of them earlier.

Sent my cable off with a description of the symptoms and what I wanted. They rang me the very next day, discussed my options, agreed a plan and made the cable straight away. Arrived the next day!

Cost was £25 + p&p + VAT which didn't seem to bad.

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Hoses_&_Cables ... tom_Cables

Apparently the problem with the old one was not the inner stretching, but the coils of the outer compressing.

This new one is so much chunkier and when the shoes bite, the lever doesn't move any further - in the garage anyway!

Be able to perfect my rolling stoppies now! :thumb

Ian IHOSMILE

dvaliket
>60
>60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bespoke Cables

Post by dvaliket » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:12 am

Weren't Venhill cables stock on CCM's?

Bendik
>40
>40
Flag: Norway

Post by Bendik » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 am

I just had some stuff delivered from Venhill. Quick delivery to outside the UK as well.

steve m
>1400
>1400

Post by steve m » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 am

just slightly off topic. do Venhill do "off the shelf" B50 cables that are as good as Doherty?

steve

Mark Cook
>1400
>1400
Flag: England

Post by Mark Cook » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 am

Venhill make most of our cables. Not all the ones they list as CCM fit! Some we have to have made as "specials" to solve the problem.

Norman_John
>160
>160
Flag: England

Post by Norman_John » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I use Venhill too, they are very knowledgeable and helpful. The cables are good, heavy quality so you should expect to lose any spongy feeling caused by a too-thin inner stretching and a too-thin or badly coiled outer collapsing.

Avoid one with the integral brake light switch on though as that has just the opposite effect until the switch is 'made'!

Cheers
John