Rev counter kits

Here You can ad suppliers and new parts.

Moderator: minetymenace

zep1975
>10
>10
Flag: England

Rev counter kits

Postby zep1975 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but thought it may help someone looking for a rev counter kit. I've just bought a B25SS as I love the look and have a soft spot for the Starfire engine. However I never liked the unbalanced look of the single speedo on the oil in frame bikes.

So with this in mind I decided to see if I could track down a rev counter drive, cable and tacho head. As luck would have it there was a new old stock drive on ebay the first time I looked. I confidently thought a high bid of £150 should secure it so entered that figure and waited for notification of my win. No chance! It went for about £220 in the end :shock: The good news however was that there seemed to be plenty of the tacho heads around for about £50 each upwards. I continued to trawl the internet and came across a site called Eurotrash Jambalaya listing new old stock rev counter kits including the drive, cable, head, rubber cup and chrome holder at £275 including delivery to the UK from the States.

That seemed like a good deal but I thought I'd wait until committing until I'd attended the Stafford show in case anything turned up a little nearer home. Again there were plenty of rev counter heads but no drives. Then I remembered a bloke called Bantam John who had a stand at the show who I knew would be a good candidate for the parts. It turned out he did indeed have the drives and after a chat which consisted mostly of him telling me how rare and expensive they were we settled on a price of £150. He didn't have the part there so I said I'd call early this week which I did on Tuesday. There then followed another one way conversation with him telling me how rare they were and how he was the only bloke in the world with them.

The price then went up to £200. I asked him how much the heads were. He said £95 so I said so thats £300 for the pair. No says he "its more than that". "Why" says I. "Because you haven't asked about the cable yet and I'm the only bloke etc etc". "£75 for the cable and I don't care whether you buy off me or not because the price will go up next week and again next year". I just said I'd think about it when I really wanted to tell him to f**k off.

I have been buying spares off this guy for the last 25 years from when he was working from his house in Dronfield. He actually used to be a nice enthusiastic bloke but god has he changed. You would be hard pushed to speak to anyone as obnoxious and condesending as he is now.

So the moral of the story is buy from the nice chap in the States. He is still listing the kits but I don't know how many he has left. If all else fails the arsehole that is Bantam John has the goods but the price is rising all the time. And I don't just mean monetarily. You also pay a heavy price in having to deal with him.
If only one person buys from the States and denies Bantam John a sale my time here will not have been wasted!

By the way I have the name of a dealer who was selling new old stock rev counter heads at Stafford for £55 if anyone needs it.
Last edited by b50root on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Splited up the text a little to make it easyer to read.

midgie
<1100
<1100

Re: Rev counter kits

Postby midgie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:25 pm

yes you are correct he is an 'expert' on all things known to man and i wouldnt buy anything off the [edited out] even if he was the only bloke who had one. he treats all potential customers like idiots so vote with you're feet! regards midgie.
Last edited by minetymenace on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not all adjectives are good adjectives .....

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Postby minetymenace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Right you guys, this is NOT Tech <910

Going to move it (Suppliers or Tales of Woe perhaps), might even delete it. Calling X or Y a so and so is not what this forum is all about, but opinion of suppliers is relevant. Perhaps we should have a poll on suppliers, so members could vote on their experiences without the risk of causing a major diplomatic incident, or someone sending the boys round.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

kommando
>1400
>1400
Flag: Ireland

Postby kommando » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Bantam John would make the Pope swear if he owned a Unit Single, the guy bought the last of the OTJ spares and has a lot of good parts but !!!!!!!!

ghislain
>420
>420
Flag: France

Postby ghislain » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:40 pm

And what about an exorcism ???? :mrgreen:

I bought such a kit from the States at 200 euros (about 175 £) ( not from your supplier )and all parts were new but drive and rev counter were for a BSA twin unit ... <218
Sold the speedo and drive , kept the rubber cup, chromed bracket and cable , and stay in hope .... :mrgreen:
65' C15S
67'B40E
71'B50SS

zep1975
>10
>10

Postby zep1975 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Now I'm worried................

Thanks!!!

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Postby Ian Hingley » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:02 pm

'fraid I've heard similar stories about Bantam John ...

Ian
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 96 Aprilia Moto 6.5, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Postby minetymenace » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Ian wrote:I've heard similar stories

Hearing stories is not the same as being shafted by the guy, if this guy is going to be slated lets keep it factual and attributable, not hear-say.

(I've heard of the guy, but have never had dealings with him).
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

midgie
<1100
<1100

Postby midgie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm

we will let you have dealings with him then, report back!

oifman
>10
>10

Postby oifman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I fitted an electronic Smiths rev counter to my B50T a few months ago- hasn't fallen apart yet and simply runs from the coil (ie no cable or gearbox required).
Here's the link:
http://www.puca.co/tech.html

zep1975
>10
>10

Postby zep1975 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi everyone.

Just thought I'd update you with the purchase of the rev counter kit from Eurotrash Jambalaya in the States.

I finally took delivery of it today. A total delivery time of about a month. For three of those weeks in sat in a Parcelforce depot in Stoke. I had to spend a couple of hours on the phone tracking it there in the end. When I asked what the problem was they said there was no house number on it. When I collected it there was nothing wrong with the address. It was all there including the number. All it needed was for someone to actually look at it! Unfortunately someone who did look at it was the tax man who stung me for £66.
Total price ended up at £346 including tax and delivery. Not bad when a rev counter drive on its own recently went for £200 plus on ebay. This came with everything even the gaskets.

I can't recommend Joe at Eurotrash highly enough. I don't think he actually sleeps as he always answered my emails by return whenever I contacted him!

David S
>220
>220
Flag: United States of America

Postby David S » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:54 pm

I have had very good dealings with Joe also.He has an excellent company.

David S

Return to “Suppliers and New Products”