Speedometer and Revolution Counter restoration

Here You can ad suppliers and new parts.

Moderator: minetymenace

beesa71
>300
>300
Has thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Speedometer and Revolution Counter restoration

Post by beesa71 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Having waited (and are still waiting) almost 12 years for a well known restorer in the South of England to do a number of our (now rare and valuable) instruments it was revelation just before last Christmas to see an advertisement for a restorer of Smiths Magnetic instruments who was located in South Yorkshire. Time to take a tentative plunge we thought ......

So, today, I collected our first 'tester' batch of five 80mm 120mph speedometers all resurrected from very, very tired and battered units. We supplied enough unmolested shells (an issue with two was that people had drilled holes in the rear face in an attempt get at the calibration screw). They came back with trip knobs and all present and correct fixing studs etc plus new bezels, rubbers and glasses. He now also has one 60mm speedometer and one 150mph unit for an OIF A65 of ours to do immediately.

Is this a recommendation? Yes it is. Service very much with a smile by a bike enthusiast. His approach to 'warranty' also was a breath of fresh air as he recognises that not all machines will go on the road as soon as the instruments are restored.

Chris Andrews is his name and he can be contacted via email at instrument-repairs@mail.com and by telephone on 07771515118. Do please mention me (Paul from Warrington or beesa71) if you make contact with him. I'm happy to include other forum members instruments with ours and keep track of them if you have any concern in that respect.

Images of the finished items below, 'fronts' photographed with and without flash to try and show them well. You might be able to make out the blue of the interior finish that is applied near to the lamp holder position
Attachments
image (2).jpeg
image (1).jpeg
image.jpeg

roadplough
<1100
<1100

Re: Speedometer and Revolution Counter restoration

Post by roadplough » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:49 pm

WOW! they look better than new.
beesa71 wrote:You might be able to make out the blue of the interior finish that is applied near to the lamp holder position
Paul do you have any more specific info about the reason for the blue?
Unresolved in this topic: http://b50.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4130

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:06 pm

I have it on good authority that it is blue dust from the feathers of the origonal bugdie.. .....

Sorry.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

beesa71
>300
>300

Post by beesa71 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:07 pm

My understanding is that the blue paint was/is deemed to be 'light enhancing'.

Further to my original post; when I first went to see Chris he was using stick on 'overlays' for the dials and I commented against one of his display samples that, where the dial fixing was, there was a slight puckering of the overlay. He recognised that and intended to use re-printed dials from then on. His dial printing 'press' was on the bench in his workshop.

Paul.

B44R
>520
>520
Been thanked: 0

Post by B44R » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Where abouts in South Yorkshire is he as I need to get the rev counter for my Trident tidied up?

beesa71
>300
>300

Post by beesa71 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Suggest you give him a call, he's just north of Worksop.

B44R
>520
>520

Post by B44R » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Thats handy, I'm Southeast of Worksop :)

oldflyer
1-10
1-10

Post by oldflyer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:07 pm

Regarding the comments about the blue painted section inside have just looked at my spare (unused) 3-1 rev counter for my '71 oif A65T and find the blue section is by the light fitting hole which is located between 7200 rpm and 9200 rpm. Does this mean I am expected to be running the A65 at those kind of revs in the dark? Seriously though I suspect that for the anti-clockwise speedo (earlier A65 according to Beesa71, my brother) it would match up to the 0 - 30 (40?) region so we can keep it legal in built up areas. Looking forward to getting the 0-150 clock Paul refers to in his original post on my A65. Will be nice to have a matched pair of Smiths clocks on it at last.
Ian W
Pensioner and private flyer
BSA A65T oif 1971
BSA B50 oif 1971 (work in progress)
CanAm 250 offroader
BSA Bantam 1949 Rigid with variety of engines to go in it 125 - 175 cc