Gas tank liners

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Steveskates
>60
>60

Gas tank liners

Post by Steveskates »

So... I hesitate to post so soon after so many people were so helpful and spent so much time responding to my questions about the Amal carburetor. (A lot of so’s in that sentence...) But... I was curious, do any of y’all have a liner in your gas tank? Like POR 15 or anything like that? My tank has some surface rust inside... not too bad, but I wasn’t sure if the best move was to put some nuts and bolts in and shake it up, or to line it at some point... it’s okay for the time being, but I was just curious if y’all run into the same issue.
eebtr7
>260
>260

Re: Gas tank liners

Post by eebtr7 »

Given the tank is not leaking, the old tried & true rinsing with loose nuts & bolts has been done in the past. Then after a thorough rinsing, applying a tank liner can be done. I did this on a 1970 Triumph 500cc twin in 1982, then sold the machine a few years later before the tank liner deteriorated.

I am also concerned with saving what appears to be the original paint on the tank, as well as the fenders and sidecovers. The hi-violet paint is very expensive as well as being hard to match. Then there is the current trend in relishing the patina of the past for the sake of originality.

Finally, stories abound of the nightmares of various tank liner coatings flaking off from exposure to modern alcohol laced fuels.

Perhaps it may be possible to attempt pressure washing the tank interior as best as practible.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks- I’m surely going to hang on to this bike forever. I’m also sure that I don’t want to deal with failing tank liners... maybe just the old nuts and bolts trick and then fill her back up with gas. Thanks eebtr7
mlb50
>240
>240

Post by mlb50 »

I would avoid putting a liner solution if the tank only has light rust. I have seen several liners peel off and turn into jellyfish blocking the fuel tap etc'. Absolute nightmare to clear out.
With light rusting, I remove the fuel taps first. Block the tap holes, you can even use duct tape. I use a handful of very small nuts and screws with a mild solution of rust and scale remover. Here we have CLR which is very effective. Refit the tank cap, shake it all about for a couple of minutes. Drain and rinse with water and then rinse again with a pint or so of mentholated spirits coz it blends with water and then air dry or blow dry.

Clean the mesh filter on the fuel taps, blow dry. Refit with a new fibre or copper washer. Fill the tank with the best fuel you can get , i.e. 98 RON preferably with zero ethanol.
B50 @ 10:1 - what's a leg between friends?
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks! I’ll give it a whirl! I don’t want it to get worse, but I guess it probably can’t- since it’s under gasoline... still, I’ll try at some point soon. Just topped off, so it’ll be a minute before I am ready to pull the tank off. Thanks again!
SteveS
>620
>620

Post by SteveS »

Hi Steve

As others have said, avoid tank liners until/unless they are absolutely necessary
Steve Sewell
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

If you do use a tank liner kit, be sure that it is a new one and that it is rated for todays Gas/Ethanol mix. The old liner kits will dissolve and turn to goo with todays gas.
Jeff
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks again everyone. I will definitely try to forgo the sealer. A good cleaning may be all she needs! Thanks again-
Grouty
>660
>660

Post by Grouty »

Steve,
My last rusty tank was sorted by removing the petcock and taping over the hole. A load of old nuts and shake for a while. Empty and fill with a mix of molasses and water. I bought a gallon of Mollases from our local farm shop very cheap. Mixed 10:1 with water and stirred. Fill the tank and put the cap on. Give it a shake every day. A week should do it, but I left it for two. Empty contents out and rinse with some old two stroke mix (diesel will do). Mine is still like new inside after 10 years.
Trouble is I reckon it will take me another 500 years to use up the molasses I have left.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

So, my concern is keeping the original paint. I think the paint looks great, but the next post will show the inside of the tank...
Attachments
Original paint
Original paint
Original paint
Original paint
Last edited by Steveskates on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

But here is the inside... It might be too far gone for just a nuts and bolts sloshing around inside rescue... I was thinking about trying Evaporust- and some nuts and bolts, but I have read that it will likely just rust again... there is a guy who seals them professionally with something similar to por15 but he says better- but I’m still not sure what to do. I am worried if I don’t seal it, I could eventually have holes and the paint would be lost!
(You can see some scraped off rust from around 5-6 years ago when I got the bike and tried to shove something in to scrape it off)
Attachments
Rust inside
Rust inside
eebtr7
>260
>260

Post by eebtr7 »

Ummmm, this doesn't look like the rust down here in South Texas. Am I missing something? Our Lone Star State rust is all orangey-reddish and crusty/flaky. (And, it tastes good, too! Well, actually it doesn't, but I couldn't resist the temptation to throw the wisecrack into the conversation.)

Have you tried poking a gasoline soaked rag in there and wiping it around? How did the rag look when you pulled it out? The inside of my tank looks about the same in the photo and is just fine.

I think I'll go and clean my bi-focals now.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks eebtr7. It’s weird- it’s not all flakey- but I assumed it needed some attention because it’s not silver metal colored... it’s dark and a little rough. Its also hard to see because there’s a full tank of gas in there! Here’s a closer up pic- still looking through a few gallons of gas-
I don’t have any problems due to it- that I know of... but I didn’t want to put my head in the sand if I should be doing something.
Attachments
Close up
Close up
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

Drain and clean to be sure you are not seeing debris on the bottom of the tank. Also check to see if you have any local car gas tank repair places. My brother has had tree motorcycle tanks done by a local company.
Jeff
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

Fill with a hot citric acid solution, leave for a day and then drain, repeat until it comes up clean and then protect using diesel or oil mixed with white spirits.
eebtr7
>260
>260

Post by eebtr7 »

How about loading your tank up with 3 gallons of 100 octane leaded ethyl gasoline and with the lyrics of Christopher Cross 1979 song in your head, head out across half the continent...

'It is the night my body's weak
I'm on the run no time to sleep
I've got to ride ride like the wind to be free again

And I got such a long way to go
(Such a long way to go)
To make it to the border of Mexico
So I'll ride like the wind, ride like the wind'.

That should rinse the tank out.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks. So, if I understand... y’all are suggesting that maybe it doesn’t look too bad?? In that case, I think I’ll stay away from a liner for the moment.

Kommando, I will try that idea at some point soon. I’m not sure that I can prepare a hot citric acid solution, but I don’t mind spending a few dollars on some Evaporust, which sounds like it might do the same thing. Then I can still rinse the tank with diesel fuel or something to coat it...
thanks again everyone...

eetbr7, I like that suggestion! Christopher Cross... haha nice
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

You buy citric acid as a powder, boil the water in a kettle and mix with a few tablespoons of citric acid powder, vinegar will work too but as its already mixed heating it causes eye watering fumes. The heat just accelerates the action, cold or lukewarm will work but slowly.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks Kommando. Do you think the citrus solution could harm the paint? One of the things I read about this “Evaporust” is that you could literally spill it all over the paint and it would do nothing... of course, I’m not sure if the Evaporust would even work on what I’ve got going on... could be a mix of rust and some old coating of some sort... I really can’t tell.

Not to sound like Charlie Brown, but I’m a little worried about the whole thing. Honestly, I’ve never even removed the tank, so I’m a little hesitant to get started. (As I’ve said in other posts... I am a lover of motorcycles, but am a terrible mechanic...) I’m also not sure how to cork up the petcock holes... I’ve heard cork can be bought...

eebtr7’s advice is sounding pretty good right now... just forgetting about it and riding the bike... at least that’s what I think he was saying... poetically...

Again... thank you all so much! I have learned a lot already, compared to what I knew a few weeks ago. So, thank you all so, so much.
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

Citric acid is lemon juice, will not affect paint, neither will vinegar.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks again. I’ll post once I have a chance to get the ingredients and give it a whirl. Thanks!
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

Years ago at a factory that I retired from. We switched the parts cleaner to a more environmentally friendly solution. The new system used a heated solution of citric acid. I look and smelled like oranges. It absolutely would remove paint if it was in there long enough. You also had to rinse the part off afterwards. Read the labels and directions before you use anything like this on your gas thank.
Jeff
eebtr7
>260
>260

Post by eebtr7 »

Instead of squandering your school teacher salary on various chemical concoctions, you can turn left on the Roland St exit on IH10 in San Antonio. Chug on over and down the hill to the Rigsby Ave intersection. There, just past the light on the right is Bob's BBQ. Park your Gold Star in the shade of a tree. You'll know you're at the right place when you read the sign on the wall saying, 'If there's no smoke, there's no BBQ'.

Once your gut is overfilled, the return trip back across IH10 will be a hazy, lazy saga. And, the gas tank will be just fine. Then begin to write a novel about your adventures.

Remember, only on the B50.org forums will you find such morale lifting technical advice along with superior moral support and spiritual guidance.
Steveskates
>60
>60

Post by Steveskates »

Thanks again everyone. Thanks so much for taking the time to give your advice. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. And the jokes!