QD rear hub bearings

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Simmy
>120
>120
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Canada

QD rear hub bearings

Post by Simmy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm trying to remove the bearings from the rear hub on my 67 Victor. I've removed the LH threaded retainer on the left hand side. Next I used a 5/8" deep socket which fit inside the left bearing, resting on the ineer sleeve. I pounded on this with a 40oz sledge to no avail. I gave it to a friend and he applied 10 tons in a press and it wouldn't come apart. The manual says tapping from the left hand side will remove the right hand bearing, the washers and dust cap all at once. Am I mising something here? Is the dust cap (speedo drive threaded on, it has LH stamped into it?
Simmy
67/68 B44 Vic

Simmy
>120
>120

Re: QD rear hub bearings

Post by Simmy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:40 pm

You can see LH stamped into the dust cover. I'm thinking the manual is wrong saying this will pop off by tapping the inner sleeve from the other side. I've enquired to see if this dust cover (which also drives the speedometer gearbox) is available because I'm going to try putting something across the notches for the speedo drive and turn it off, and I'll probably bend and distort it out of shape. Has no one removed the bearings from their QD hub?
Attachments
QD Hub Dust Cover.jpg
is this threaded on with LH threads?
Simmy
67/68 B44 Vic

B44R
>520
>520
Flag: New Zealand

Post by B44R » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:13 pm

I did but it was 20 yrs ago and I can't remember! :roll:

Gordon in NC
>40
>40
Flag: United States of America

Post by Gordon in NC » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 pm

The one I'm holding in my hand is threaded on and it's a RIGHT HAND thread. I'm new to this site so I'm not sure how to post photos....but I'm going to try. I'm not 100% sure this hub is off a B44......but since all I have in the shop are BSA unit singles.....there's better than a 50% chance that it is.

Gordon in nc

Simmy
>120
>120

Post by Simmy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks Gordon, yes if you can show a pic that would be great. I have to assume mine is screwed on with LH threads. The hub end cover is $47.57 special order to the UK. I think I may have already deformed it after pounding on it and trying it in the 10 ton press. For sure it's going to get bent up just turning it by the speedo cut outs. I think I'll try pounding it back the other way to releave some of the force I've put on it.

This is what the manual says, which is clearly wrong

Wheel Hub Bearings
The hub is fitted with two identical single-seal
bearings which are a light press-fit on to the
hollow spindle in the hub shell. The brake drum
bearing is the same size as the hub bearings, but
has a double oil seal.
To remove the bearings, first unscrew the
bearing retainer on the left-hand side; this has
a lcft·hand thread and is unscrewed in a clockwise
direction,
Using a drift slightly under .875 in. diameter,
drive out the hollow spindle from the left-hand
side, releasing the right-hand bearing, inner
collar and the hub end cover from the righthand
side.
The left-hand bearing and its thrust washer
can now be driven out from the right-hand side.
The rubber oil seal for the left-hand bearing
need not be disturbed and may be left in the hub
To examine the bearings, wash thoroughly in
paraffin and if possible, blow out with a high
pressure air line. Examine each bearing carefully
for signs of roughness indicating broken
balls or damaged tracks, or excessive play.
Reassembly of the hub is simply the reverse
of the dismantling procedure but, when pressing
the bearings in, apply pressure only to the outside
ring of the bearing and ensure that the
retainer on the left-hand side is quite tight.
Note that the hollow spindle is fitted with the
short end on the left-hand side and also that the
bearings are fitted with their oil seals olltwards.
Simmy
67/68 B44 Vic

Simmy
>120
>120

Post by Simmy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 pm

That pic is awesome Gordon. I wish I had seen your pic before pounding the shit out of the inner sleeve and my left thumb. Thinking about it a little more, LH threads would make the most sense, any resistance from the speedo gear box would tend to loosen RH threads but tighten LH threads. Now my dilemma is which way to turn it. Mine is definitely stamped L.H.
Simmy
67/68 B44 Vic

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Simmy....when I first posted I just pulled something out I had under the bench and knew I could get my hands on in a hurry. The hub I pictured was apart so I thought I had it made.

THEN.....the fact that your collar had LH on it kinda worried me so I went back down and pulled out the "Hub" box and found one in there that also had the LH on it.....and I'll be damned, it's (like yours) LEFT handed. So good ole <069 had both !!!! Thank goodness they went to the trouble to label the left hander for us.

Here's a photo of the two collars (for lack of the correct term...which slips my mind right now) The one on the left is like yours....and the one on the right has no stamping and is RIGHT handed.

If you click on the photo it'll take you to photoshop so you can see both collars.....the one on the right is the first one I pictured and it's RIGHT handed....and has no stamping at all on it.

HTH......take care.....Gordon in NC

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:24 pm

<135 to the forum Gordon. Great piccies. Despite living on one of the last remaining American aircraft carriers, I guess your location is North Carolina, not Kings Cross....what the hell I'll do it for you.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks for the welcome MM. I guess I need to work on my profile a bit.. :( ... I was in a hurry.

I'm new here but not new to BSA and I see some VERY familiar names on here. I guess I've watched this site for a decade or so and have always been a fan. I have a B50 project that I've had for years and I'm FINALLY :grin: back to working on it and hope to have it on the road soon.

Sorry for the slight thread steal Simmy......hope you got that bugger out.....AND if you messed it up no worries....I'll send ya one if you'll cover the postage.

Take care ya'll.......... :grin: .......Gordon Gray in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina, USA

Barry Creary
<1100
<1100
Flag: Australia

Post by Barry Creary » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:15 am

Hi Gordon
How about some photos of your B50 project <135

Simmy
>120
>120

Post by Simmy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 am

I went to your pics there Gordon, you're definitely a vintage bike enthusiast. Nice pics.
I put some heat on the hub dust cover and put a small flat bar in my vise to fit in the speedo cut outs. Turned it to the left and it screwed out like magic.
This is one time the manual got me into trouble. I suppose there were BSA's which came apart like that which they cut & pasted for the 441 Victor manual.
To bad there's nothing left of BSA to sue :laugh

I did chew up the inner sleeve which I'll have to order new from England, I think I was quoted $27.
The 5/8" deep socket I used for a drift was chamfered and sunk into the sleeve from all that hammering.

The bearings are $39 a piece for the B44 rear hub, not sure why?
chewed up inner sleeve.jpg
the inner sleeve took all the abuse.
Attachments
empty hub.jpg
hub cover.jpg
hub cover survived this chapter.
Simmy
67/68 B44 Vic

malcward
>400
>400
Flag: Great Britain

Post by malcward » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:27 am

The collar on my 66 spitfire is right hand thread and on my 68 spitfire its left hand thread ? so changed in 67??.

Walridges had economy sealed bearing for about 10 dollars a piece [same as A65]

Cheers
Malc

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 am

Simmy....if there's anything in this mess you can use, just send me an address via e-mail or pm I'll be happy to send it to you. I'm sorta embarrassed about how much of this stuff I've hoarded over the years....but I've always been willing to share the extra stuff when it's needed. :thumb For every thing I've given away....I've always seemed to get something back in return sooner or later.

Here's a quick pic of my B58 project that has been sitting idle for way too long. I'm waiting for the twitter to show up and then I'll start finishing it up. I've still got a lot to do but most of the hard stuff is done.

My photo's are too big (I'll work on that) so you'll have to click on it to view all of it.

Thanks for the welcomes......take care...Gordon in NC
Last edited by minetymenace on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: email address removed for security reasons, you can always hit the little envelope symbol to send an e-mail or use the PM button

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:03 am

malcward wrote:The collar on my 66 spitfire is right hand thread and on my 68 spitfire its left hand thread ? so changed in 67??.

Walridges had economy sealed bearing for about 10 dollars a piece [same as A65]

Cheers
Malc
Good point malcward. My stuff goes back to 1964 (Enduro Star) so that would mean I could have several examples of both the right and left thread. I never worked on more than one at a time and didn't pay attention to the fact they were different. :oops:

You gota LOVE <069 .............BSAing ya Gordon in NC

Barry Creary
<1100
<1100

Post by Barry Creary » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:20 am

Very nice bike Gordon :thumb what are the 4 engines on the shelves :shock: and can you tell me where you got the kick starter on your bike <069

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Barry, there was a time when you could buy these things for a song and a dance and I would buy any and all I could get my hands on and afford. I probably have 25 unit single engines on the shelf like the ones in the photo. C-15, B40, B44 and B50. I would buy rollers and then take them apart and sort and store the parts. I have a bunch of parts and it's part of the hobby I enjoy. My wife would frown when I dragged a bike home....but for some reason parts didn't bother her. :lol: I can disassemble a unit single at a rest stop along the Interstate in under an hour. :laugh But nowadays the prices have gone up so much....i haven't seen a deal in years and haven't added to the pile in a long time.

I got that kick statrer from Matt H at Speed and Sport here in the US. Not to long ago they were hard to find....but not now. I'm not sure where Matts gets his but Terry Weedy in the UK sure seems to have a lot on hand.

http://www.terryweedy.com

Take care......Gordon in NC

Barry Creary
<1100
<1100

Post by Barry Creary » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:36 am

Hi Gordon
Have you tried the kick starter, I've heard the ones from Terry Weedy are a bit bendy :shock: I could be wrong :roll:

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Barry.....I didn't get mine from Weedy. Speed and Sport here in the US. Laid side by side against the Sammy Miller kicker.....they look the same to me.

I'll report on it when I get to use it more often....as of now I don't see any flex in it at all.

I just mentioned the Weedy product.....because I got the link off this site. :smile:

Gordon

Nambo
>380
>380
Flag: England

Post by Nambo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Gordon, what exhaust pipe is that?
What silencer will you use and how will you mount it?

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:28 pm

First off, I hope those parts I sent Simmy finally made it???? I don't want to hijack his thread but to answer Nambo's question.

That's a 30+ year old NOS aftermarket pipe I've had for years. Tab to the lower engine bolt can be seen in the photo. The silencer is a newer knock off Goldie Twitter. It's mounting tab lines up pretty well with the stock tab on the B50's frame.

BSAing ya...........Gordon in NC

Simmy
>120
>120

Post by Simmy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:13 am

Just received the bearings Gordon, thank you very much. You're on my Xmas card list now.
As to hijacking this thread I think we've exhausted everything there is to know about QD hub dust covers.
Were any B50's painted Yellow like that from BSA? I see some have a yellow stripe but not 1/2 yellow like the B44 Vic.
Simmy
67/68 B44 Vic

Gordon in NC
>40
>40

Post by Gordon in NC » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 am

I'm glad the bits made it....I was getting worried and should have had a tracking number on them.

No.....BSA didn't paint an OIF tank like that. My B50 isn't ever going to be stock so what the heck....I just painted it like I wanted :grin: and the heck with the rivet counters.

Back in the late 60's I knew a shop ( on the US West coast) that repainted brand new Victor Special tanks. So some where out there, there are people who can swear that some Victors Special tanks were Red, Blue, or even British Racing Green when new. :roll:

Take care......BSAing ya.......Gordon in NC

Mr Mike
>880
>880

Post by Mr Mike » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Hey Gordon,
Glad to see you posting over here and glad to see that B50 getting some attention. For those of you that don't know Gordon he's the other guy that likes BSA singles from North Carolina and he has organized the Three State Mountain Ride (TSMR) now for 13 years. He also knows more about BSA singles than I will ever hope to know but he won't let you know that. Gordon lives over in the mountains and a 441 or B50 is an ideal ride for that area. I have been to Gordon's TSMR ride every year and have ridden four different bikes including an A65 around the 200 plus mile ride, but the B50 is my ride of choice. It can run with the twins, is lighter, a better handler and more comfortable.

Welcome Gordon!!!!!

Mr Mike

bert44
>40
>40

Post by bert44 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:04 am

Hi All,

Does anyone know the code for the rear wheel bearings for a B44?
Or is there a chart on the Forum for any/all bearing codes. It's easier to walk into a bearing shop armed with the regular code number rather than the BSA part number (which makes no sense to the dude behind the counter).
Bert44
Adelaide
South Australia

steve m
>1400
>1400

Post by steve m » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:26 am

hi Bert44,
if you look to the top of every page there are red buttons. click on "spareparts" then "search by illustrations", select model and then select from the side menu which area of the bike. and then find they are Hoffmann LS9RS :smile:

steve

bert44
>40
>40

Post by bert44 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 am

thanks Steve,
I hadn't explored that button. Just what I was looking for.
Bert44
Adelaide
South Australia