RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Post Reply
User avatar
*beezergeezer*
>40
>40
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:25 am
Location: West Cornwall down the pointy bit
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by *beezergeezer* » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:03 am

Hi all I am considering using a EK 3d Black/Gold Chain on a B25ss project, the BSA Manual gives sizes as reynolds 110 054, but am i right in thinking this is a 520 chain?
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&rlz= ... 66&bih=625

from what i have found it seems so.
Has anyone used one of these chains? can anyone give size equivalents?

User avatar
kommando
>1400
>1400
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 8:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Flag: Ireland

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by kommando » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:11 am

520 is correct, stay away from current Reynolds chain.

User avatar
*beezergeezer*
>40
>40
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:25 am
Location: West Cornwall down the pointy bit
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by *beezergeezer* » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks, I will avoid them as i was looking for something a bit different.

beat
>1400
>1400
Posts: 5542
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Switzerland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times
Flag: Switzerland

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by beat » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:12 pm

*beezergeezer* wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:03 am
Gold Chain
could not afford something the like :oops:

hhh
>420
>420
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: British Columbia
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Flag: Canada

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by hhh » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:15 pm

kommando wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:11 am
520 is correct, stay away from current Reynolds chain.
How about Renold chain, or is that what you meant?

User avatar
*beezergeezer*
>40
>40
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:25 am
Location: West Cornwall down the pointy bit
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by *beezergeezer* » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:02 pm

i have currently got a cheap chain on from previos owner, there seems to be some people who have had issues with reynolds chain, I am going to fit an EK 3D black and gold chain, jus to be different.

beat
>1400
>1400
Posts: 5542
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Switzerland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times
Flag: Switzerland

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by beat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:51 pm

I am using the DID 520 VT2 narrow X Ring.

a veri good chain IMO

beat

User avatar
kommando
>1400
>1400
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 8:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Flag: Ireland

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by kommando » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:02 pm

hhh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:15 pm
kommando wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:11 am
520 is correct, stay away from current Renolds chain.
How about Renold chain, or is that what you meant?
The quality is suspect, Renold's themselves no longer make any chain they say is suitable for motorcycle use, but allow one distributor to box up chain made by Renold with their brand on the box. Hardly inspires you to consider it and user reports confirm it just does not last.
These users thanked the author kommando for the post:
*beezergeezer* (Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:50 pm)
Rating: 33.33%

hhh
>420
>420
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: British Columbia
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Flag: Canada

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by hhh » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:52 pm

kommando wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:02 pm
hhh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:15 pm
kommando wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:11 am
520 is correct, stay away from current Renolds chain.
How about Renold chain, or is that what you meant?
The quality is suspect, Renold's themselves no longer make any chain they say is suitable for motorcycle use, but allow one distributor to box up chain made by Renold with their brand on the box. Hardly inspires you to consider it and user reports confirm it just does not last.
I can't remember where or when I saw it, but I remember a denial of Renold chain being "not suitable for motorcycle use" posted somewhere saying it was simply not true. Anyone else have any recollection of that?

User avatar
kommando
>1400
>1400
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 8:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Flag: Ireland

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by kommando » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:55 am

It was posted elsewhere, by a Renold employee selling Renold chain on the side, colour me sceptical. Their Synergy chain has the chance to work but that is not sold by the Motorcycle Renold chain distributor. As a company Renold have abandoned the Motorcycle market, why would you buy a product off a company who do not want you as a customer.

eebtr7
>180
>180
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:49 pm
Location: Texas USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: RAR DRIVE CHAIN

Post by eebtr7 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Sooooo...This means we take the old gummed up Renolds chain from the bottom of the parts box in the back of the garage, clean off the exterior crud, soak it in gasoline for a few days, wash off the excreted crud, then marinate it a few days in automatic transmission fluid with all its detergents. Finally, we cook the chain in grease in the wife's oven while she is gone to visit her sister for most of the day. Provided all the links are now swiveling freely, we take a chance the whole thing won't explode when we grab third gear to torque thru a corner.

In other words, we make do with our used parts inventory like everything else on these BSA's to keep our obsolete beasts alive, just like we do with ourselves.

Post Reply