Lapping valves in the real world

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Cocker Cox
>40
>40
Flag: England

Lapping valves in the real world

Post by Cocker Cox » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 am

I’m lapping the valves in on my B25SS at the moment, and it seems to me that there’s a balance to be struck between perfection and good engineering practice. I’ve spoken to a pal who worked on the mechanical engineering side for an American oil giant, so he’s nobody’s fool. He says a small amount of valve pitting is an acceptable industry standard and that the ‘inverted-petrol-tight-head’ test is ‘unlikely’ even with perfectly acceptable lapped valves. He also pointed out that the valve heads expand and the seats contract when hot, so what’s the point of grinding a seat to death in order to get that perfect seal? My own thought is that I want the valves and seats to last as long as possible before replacement, so want to do the minimum lapping to produce an acceptable seal. I have produced the required light grey line on the seats and valves; replacing the valves and springs, inverting the head and filling it with petrol produced a slight wetting of the ports over an overnight soak test; the level drop of petrol still in the head was hardly noticeable. There are a couple of tiny pits on each seat but none on the valves. Good enough? I think so, but I’ll lightly lap the valves in once more and see if it affects the ‘petrol-test’....

SteveS
>540
>540
Flag: England

Re: Lapping valves in the real world

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi Cocker

There will be others that demand perfection but I'd be happy with what you have achieved. Get the bike on the road and enjoy it
These users thanked the author SteveS for the post:
Cocker Cox (Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 am)
Rating: 25%
Steve Sewell

Jeff K
>1300
>1300
Flag: United States of America

Re: Lapping valves in the real world

Post by Jeff K » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Compared to a Norton, The BSA and Triumph valve seats are softer. At the start of the 1970's, I purchased a factory Triumph valve seat cutter set. No problem on BSA or Triumph, but it would not touch a Norton seat on anything as new as the commando Models. I later replaced that with a couple of Van Dorn valve seat grinders. Then later on I purchased the Neway Valve cutter sets. Even with the proper equipment , I would always still use a felt pen to mark the valve face and valve seats and then do a light hand lap to be sure. If you are that close now, after a few short trips they should bed in and seat well.
Jeff
These users thanked the author Jeff K for the post:
Cocker Cox (Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 am)
Rating: 25%