Moderator: minetymenace

2manyrides
>580
>580
Has thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

it had been blackening..

Post by 2manyrides » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 am

And the lens was deformed a bit from heat.
Then I changed to a higher gearing...and a new vibration.

Short thing with some shots of a fix-up.
Other than the remaining 3 left on the bike, this was the last (even remotely) repairable one in the boneyard.

2many
72 B50SS bought in 74, I'm the second owner
74 TR5MX bought in 77-new, I'm the original owner

Which one to ride today?

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Re: it had been blackening..

Post by Ian Hingley » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Nice clip 2many.

I can't play guitar.

I can't make videos.

But I sure can bodge unsuccessfully, just like that!
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 2015 Truimph Street Twin, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5 Starck

2manyrides
>580
>580

Post by 2manyrides » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Ian Hingley wrote:Nice clip 2many.

I can't play guitar.

I can't make videos.

But I sure can bodge unsuccessfully, just like that!
Being from a slightly different culture, I don't understand the term...
"bodge unsuccessfully, just like that!"

Please explain

Might be a sarcastic remark? :laugh
Might be we both bust parts up? :ok

Good or bad...thank you!

2many

Which one to ride today?

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Just as an aside, do you have to have indicators in California? I think they are more trouble than they are worth (indicators not Californians), I use hand signals on my sports :???: bike even though it has indicators. Those Lucas ones normally rotate skyward after a few miles. There are pattern ones available, (you can tell by the lack of lock nut on the luminary end of the stalk), so you will always be able to looky-likey, but think it is nice to have a Lucas lens.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

2manyrides
>580
>580

Post by 2manyrides » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:43 am

I assume Ian's statement was a fun poke or an announcement that we all bust up stuff now and then.
I took it as a chance to banter a bit. I'm up for that!

Oh those californians... :laugh

But seriously, Minety...here's the story on blinkers.
The vehical code states that any motorcycle built after jan 1st 1974 must have turns signals.
This puts the TR5MX on the side of turn signals!
BUT...that said, it would take a bit of research by the police to decifer this close call. Of course the MX never came with em, but now it's street legal. I rarley blink as well, I use hand signals, it's quicker.
I had put on B50 fender, tailight and signals to pass highway patrol inspection during the registration process. I was intending on changing all those parts out for plastic do-dad's, but like the looks so much that I stuck with them.
Yes there are repop signals, and under close inspection I saw they don't have the locking nut. This caused me to balk at their purchase. (how good are they?)
And I had in mind to change out to a modern shorter smaller signal, but everything you see has a smaller thread that wont match up to the housing's internal "u" bar. Or in the head light ears for that matter.
I ran without signals on my xs650 for years, a 77, I never got called on it.
When this last one breaks on the triumph, I plan to go signaless. I'm sure I can get away with it for a long time, if not for ever. Unless those repop's without the nut are dynomite! Maybe I'll get them.

But you never know...
For instance;

Riding the BSA down the freeway past the trucker's weigh station, out jumps a motorcycle higway patrol who quickly catches up and pulls me over.
"you know you were driving without your headlight", he says.
I replied "I don't have to". "This is a 1972 BSA". He's oblivious to the fact. (or what a bsa is)
He begins to recite vehical code that is a misconstrewed conglomeration of 3 different code sections combined, stated in a way as to make me a law breaker!
I told this cop that he was wrong and that only bikes built after jan 1st 1978 had to have a headlight on when the motor is running.
In the old days I used to run with the headlight on all the time and people would stop me to tell me..."your headlight's on". Well now that 78 has come and gone and we're in the 2,000's, I run with out it on because I like to be different than everybody else. (why else would you run a B50 for 35 years?) Not only that though, there was a time when a proper bulb was very hard to get...why risk burning one out if you don't have to?
Rant...And what good are the bulbs you get now that block out or divert the high beem off the road?

One of the cop's final statements was,
"Why would you want to drive your motorcycle with out the headlight on?"
Above tells the story of why, but when I told him the real law of the land he cut to the chase, and began packing away his little ticket book. Our little pull over came to a quick end,
I wanted to further banter with him about it but I guess he had better things to do.

Oh and a final note, click on this. It's a direct changeover replacement for bulbs like ours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph- ... 2eb37744da

I have been running these for about 4 years now. (maybe longer)
The little trouble I've had was that on my first bulb, the low beam burned out at dusk, but then a mile down the road the high went out too leaveing me dodging boulevards for back streets until it was so dark I didn't feel comfortable and routed to a nearby friends house for a pick up truck ride home. Bulb #2 is still in. Bulb #3 waiting for failure in the parts bins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lucas-41 ... 53e64139ab

Then you look at the normal type bulb above and they have done something to have the high beam shoot off the road.
Real light bulds of the day had one filiment directly above the other and no "dead" spot.
No "sheilded" blocked out beam.
On my Triumph I'm running a halogen sealed beem that's never gone out, replaces the original lucas lense and requires a "car" type plug, but it too has a dead, dark spot right where you and I would like to illuminate!
I mean, come on...I can control my highbeam, you don't need to make it useless.
That new type bulb I pointed out above, still has a dead zone even when you hit that little button on the left handlebar switch that gives the rider high and low at the same time.
I was wondering if it would do damage to the bulb to carefuly scrap off the paint on the froni tip of the bulb...anybody know?
Ohhh yes, I'm full of complaints today...
I'm open to alternatives...anybody want to chime in with their lighting success storys?
Headlight, or blinkers for the B50
Oh, and another quirky part of the law is you don't even have to have a headlight!!!
But you better not be riding at night, dusk or dawn. Day time is ok...
Bring on the spitfires and hornets!
But if you do have a headlight on the bike...it has to work. <216
2many

Which one to ride today?