Here you can ad your leftovers.

Moderator: minetymenace

lathejack
>160
>160
Flag: Great Britain

Somebody is going to be dissapointed.

Postby lathejack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:33 pm

Over the last year I have been looking at BSA spare parts on EBay, and I have seen some slightly dodgy parts that do not seem to be quite as described, not necessaraly deliberately.

Last week I was looking at what was described as a B44 bottom end and priced at £650, the auction ended on 21 Feb. I don't know how to do links but the item number was 222025601061. Did anyone else see this?

The crank is a mass of filth and rust, and I may be wrong, but sticking out is what appears to be the slightly oxidised alluminium alloy conrod of a B25, and the barrel studs look like the shorter 250 items. The crankcases have no serial number stamped on them, how convenient.
Last edited by lathejack on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Re: Somebody is going to be dissapointed.

Postby minetymenace » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:53 pm

to do a link, tap the URL box and after the URL and before the "]"type "=" then the web address. After the first "]" type something....hey presto
eg: this is how you do a link to a bottom end on evil bay

He does have a Beagle parts list listed, but most of his stuff is over priced junk :(
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

lathejack
>160
>160

Postby lathejack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:47 am

Thanks for the info on doing a link.

As for the engine bottom end in question, I am sure that anyone after a B44 lump would spot the 'error' when picking up the item, but a lot of wasted time and effort.

If a buyer had payed for it to be delivered by courier then how sick would they be to discover that the desirable 441 lump turned out to be just a B25....Aaaagh!!

Chris Pellett
>1000
>1000

Postby Chris Pellett » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:52 am

Looks like a removed number rather than unstamped

lathejack
>160
>160

Postby lathejack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:23 am

Chris Pellett wrote:Looks like a removed number rather than unstamped

Yes you are right, the raised pad does appear to have had a little work done on it. I didn't think that it had been unstamped from new. All in all a rather unsavoury item. It does look like a B25 lump to me, what do you think?

midgie
>1200
>1200

Postby midgie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 am

lathejack wrote:
Chris Pellett wrote:Looks like a removed number rather than unstamped

Yes you are right, the raised pad does appear to have had a little work done on it. I didn't think that it had been unstamped from new. All in all a rather unsavoury item. It does look like a B25 lump to me, what do you think?

I agree.

SteveS
>380
>380

Postby SteveS » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi

I would suggest on this occasion that this was a genuine mistake. I have been buying items from pipwippit via ebay since 2011 and not had any problems.

Whoever purchased the item is going to be disappointed but I am sure he will sort it out. Most of the stuff he sells comes in from the States

Regards Steve
Steve Sewell

lathejack
>160
>160

Postby lathejack » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:25 pm

SteveS wrote:Hi

I would suggest on this occasion that this was a genuine mistake. I have been buying items from pipwippit via ebay since 2011 and not had any problems.

Whoever purchased the item is going to be disappointed but I am sure he will sort it out. Most of the stuff he sells comes in from the States

Regards Steve

Yes you may be right, I did suggest that this sort of thing is not necessarily done deliberately, if the seller isn't too clued up or hasn't looked to closely he may be just repeating what he has been told the item is. I was more concerned about the issue for the buyer, rather than with the seller.

Return to “Parts for sale”