Changing fork oil seals

Repair and Maintenance Fork and Suspension

Moderator: minetymenace

Forum rules
Please write in easy English so everybody understand.
Richard Hunt
>720
>720

Changing fork oil seals

Postby Richard Hunt » Fri May 29, 2009 6:11 pm

On 1971 onward BSA/Triumph forks I use around 190cc to 210cc of fork oil per fork leg, depending how you like your forks to operate. You cannot change the seals without dismantelling the forks to some degree.

What I do in changing seals. drain fork oil, Jack up bike (if no centre stand), take out front wheel. Get a thin bar that you can place between the bottom of both fork legs between the studs. Undo the allen screw in the bottom of one fork slider. The slider will then come off and you can replace oil seal. Replace fork leg (remembering to replace allen screw) and do the same to the second fork leg. Put the wheel back in take the top caps off and fill the forks with oil , replace caps and away you go, till the next time.

I use either SAE30 or Fork oil, what ever I have at the time. Some use ATF. Don't forget to replace the o rings at the bottom/inside the fork sliders while they are apart.

Rich

steve m
>1400
>1400

Changing fork oil seals

Postby steve m » Sat May 30, 2009 10:36 am

good'ay triton,
yep, replace the o-rings on the shuttle valves and also the dowty washers that sit in the recess in the bottom of each leg - you can get them from your favourite spares person or try someone that does hydraulic repairs, say to trucks (or even, lorries) and the like.
also, good luck undoing the allen screws, please don't use a scewdriver from the inside, to hold the damper rod from turning - we have talked about this at length before, so, try the search function ( it's up in the righthand corner of every page on the forum ;-) ).

cheers,
steve

Richard Hunt
>720
>720

Changing fork oil seals

Postby Richard Hunt » Sat May 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Oops I forgot about the Dowty washers :oops: , thanks Steve you said what I meant to say. I had just finished night shift , should have slept first :!:

Rich

TritonMike
>40
>40
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Changing fork oil seals

Postby TritonMike » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:38 pm

MOT is due. I have one weepy stantion on my B50SS. There is an excellent Hydraulic seals place in town if I knew the manufacturer part number or critical dimensions of the seal. By any chance does anyone have that info? Similarly any details for the o rings which need changing. I still have not managed to download Rickard's workshop manual!!
Thanks
TritonMike

Return to “Suspension”