Howdy y'all! Am i in the right place for a T25?

Some words about this forum

Moderator: minetymenace

Graham
>10
>10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Howdy y'all! Am i in the right place for a T25?

Post by Graham » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Been reading the forum for a couple days getting familiarized with these bikes. Looking at buying a T25 for $600. The seller has had it in a shed for the last 20+ years, tires are gone, rims partially down in the mud (they don't look too rotten) motor is stuck but 'running when parked' and i have no reason not to believe him. Seat, trim and almost everything appears to be there.

I looked at it for about 10 minutes, its about 3 hours away from me but i can go and get it whenever i'm ready... putting a new engine in my truck right now so it will have to wait a month or so.

anyhow, this seems to be the best forum i've found for the BSA unit singles. I'm an engineer and fairly competent mechanic (spannerman), but this will be my first foray into the world of Whitworth, Lucas and the particular nature of british bikes (I've done some work on MG's and Triumph cars).

Seems like by what i've seen posted on for sale that $600 in current condition is a pretty fair price. I'm assuming at this point I'll need to do a full engine rebuild, new tires (tyres) probably cables and all rubber of course. Looks like parts are surprisingly easy to find for these, which is excellent. Maybe because they require so many spares, or maybe because brit bike folks are more apt to give away hard earned cash for parts than most other motorsports i'm involved in.. anyhow. just wanted to say howdy from texas and I guess solicit some encouragement that this isn't as terrible of a purchase as everyone else is making me think it is.

Ha ha

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Re: Howdy y'all! Am i in the right place for a T25?

Post by minetymenace » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:15 pm

<135 Graham.

Yes, this is THE place. Start a topic in Project bikes and you will get all the encouragement and technical support you need.

Go for it :thumb
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

roadplough
<1100
<1100

Post by roadplough » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:18 am

Graham wrote:this isn't as terrible of a purchase as everyone else is making me think it is
Before long you'll have a bigger grin on on your face than "everyone else" put together :thumb

Graham
>10
>10

Post by Graham » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:08 pm

ha well, thanks for that, it certainly helps keep up the enthusiasm.

i have a choice between a Yammy R5 in boxes, but mostly there and decent condition, or this totally unknown (to me) and seized lump in the back of a shed. Either one for $600.

The R5 could run on the highway (70+ mph), start 1/4 kick (with less effort), blow blue smoke :ban , parts are everywhere and easy to get, my wife would probably like it more as she's into the '70's styling' rather than the '60's styling' ... the list goes on and on.

The T25 is going to cost a ton more, require a full tear down and rebuild, be hard to source parts for, require custom tools and fabrication, and is likely to abruptly fail with no provocation, and still wont make it on the interstate. When i'm all said and done, i'll throw over a thousand bucks at a motorcycle that might be worth 1500, best case scenario.

Well, its obvious I don't do this for any kind of financial reward. Barely even do it to have ride able motorcycles myself. I guess i like the challenge or some stupid nonsense like that.

Graham
>10
>10

Post by Graham » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:14 pm

oh yeah, the Triumph also has much much greater odds of leaving me stranded as I try to made a dramatic exit from a bar, requiring a full workout routine on the 1-legged stairmaster at 3am after imbibing intoxicating beverages. All while my wife stands there with her helmet on, giving me 'that look' and beginning divorce court proceedings in her head.

thats a particular joy that the fake 'cafe-racer' crowd on their tarted up CB750's will never appreciate!

steve m
>1400
>1400

Post by steve m » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 am

Graham wrote:the Triumph also has much much greater odds of leaving me stranded as I try to made a dramatic exit from a bar, requiring a full workout routine on the 1-legged stairmaster at 3am after imbibing intoxicating beverages. All while my wife stands there with her helmet on, giving me 'that look' and beginning divorce court proceedings in her head.
<201 so? how could anybody pass up those sort of opportunities ;-)
Graham wrote:thats a particular joy that the fake 'cafe-racer' crowd on their tarted up CB750's will never appreciate!
there ya go, you knew the answer all along :thumb what is the purpose of life if there are no challenges.
good luck with yours.

steve

Barry Creary
<1100
<1100
Flag: Australia

Post by Barry Creary » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:51 am

Steve :laugh :laugh :ok

roadplough
<1100
<1100

Post by roadplough » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Graham wrote: Either one for $600.
Sort of depends which end you want your grin at ;-)