>20
>20
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: England

Strange Feeling but in a Good way!

Post by bonnietiler » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Isn't it Strange?
I'm certain that I'm preaching to the converted here but I had owned this benighted B50 for 3 months or so and just could start it, very occasionally ..it seemed that it rather depended on the direction of the wind or how many magpies were in my garden as to whether it would fire or not.

I had taken it as a physical Gender challenge to be roundly overcome and having ridden what are now listed as "Classic" machinery from when they were just bikes and having working in the Classic Magazine sector and written and droned interminably about all kinds of bikes, when I bought it I felt confident that all would be well...ahem... But in truth this one very nearly had me beaten.

I spoke to a well known editor of said magazines and when the subject was raised he took a quick breath but then his gaze dropped, a melancholy filled his rheumy eyes as he had to admit to selling a minty B50 for exactly the same reason. I had even adopted (final straw) the old Hippie method..San Francisco chapter..naturally, of donning Antler Horns..Howling at a waning moon stark naked with the vitals painted in Engineers Blue whilst chanting an anti-Edward Turner mantra..

This resulted in complete and abject failure and house arrest I might add...But then by complete chance as I was ready to list the blighter on a well known Internet Auction site it happened.. I had turned base metal into finest Gold, it was a cathartic moment I had my Road to Damascus event. Now it starts pretty much like any other bike...but..ONLY if the correct procedure is followed.

Took it to the oldest established Motorcycle shop in the area (been trading since the 1950's)for an MOT today and it passed..Hussah
The old MOT man who had sold bikes such as these back in the day, covertly handed the certificate over as if it was an alchemists secret recipe and whispered..."We cant start it but I've got £10 on you with the mechanic to start it first time...we couldn't get it to light!"
I gave him a nod and went through the ever so slightly laborious set up procedure and it burst into life instant, I looked over my shoulder to see afore-mentioned mechanic..head-bowed throw his adjustable onto the workshop floor as the owner skipped and danced over to him hand out ready for his reward.

Canberra
>1200
>1200
Flag: Australia

Re: Strange Feeling but in a Good way!

Post by Canberra » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Brilliant :thumb :thumb

John

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Post by beat » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Canberra wrote:Brilliant
beat :lol: :lol:

skippy
>1400
>1400

Post by skippy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:57 pm

I enjoy a good story with a happy ending. :thumb
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes

nopdog
>160
>160

Post by nopdog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Very good bonnietiler.
You tell a good yarn.
And I think, we would all agree that when all is well there is something about these bikes that make you feel like " your on top of the world"
Sorry James Cagney for butchering your line!!