Massive oil leak

Everything else about us and our bikes.

Moderator: minetymenace

davidprice
>10
>10

Massive oil leak

Post by davidprice »

I have just completed a total engine rebuild on my B25SS. While it was up on the lifting bench I noticed oil leaking from the sump plate. When the sump plate was removed about 1/2 pint of oil came out. A new gasket fixed the leak, but when I took the bike off the stand and put it on its side stand, overnight, virtually all of the engine oil leaked out over the garage floor. It was not obvious where the oil had leaked from. What could I have missed out or reassembled incorrectly to end up with such a huge oil leak. It did not leak when the bike was upright though the sump may have been filling up.
Clearly something is not as it should be . Any pointers as to what I should look for to cure this would be greatly appreciated.
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Re: Massive oil leak

Post by minetymenace »

Non-return valve leaking. Shouldn't leak out overnight, but will do in a month or so, which is normal. A search of the forum will suggest a few more things (oil punp, pipes not in correct position) the a search for "Wet sumping" for a start....
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
mlb50
>260
>260

Re: Massive oil leak

Post by mlb50 »

During the rebuild - by any chance did you miss fitting a new drive side crankshaft oil seal? As the bike leans over on the left, the sump oil (and its possible it is wet sumping) and possibly finds a gap between the crankcase and primary?
I did witness this on a mates Commando. Not pretty!
B50 @ 10:1 - what's a leg between friends?