Battery

Everything else about us and our bikes.

Moderator: minetymenace

skippy
>1400
>1400

Battery

Post by skippy »

I came road into the yard let the clutch out after rolling around the ute, the revs dropped and it stopped. The ignition light was off so pushed it into the shed turned of ignition then checked the battery voltage it was 12.2v.
The fuse was good, tuned on ignition and looked for voltage further up the wiring nothing I disconnected the battery and used the ohm meter no problem found went back and put the meter back on the battery 12.2v reconnected the battery again with the ignition on and the meter dropped to 0v.
I have never had a battery do that to me ever. I charged it up to 13.1v and it did the same.
The battery was an old alarm 20hr gel sel
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Re: Battery

Post by minetymenace »

Easy, your battery has gone high impedance.

Think of a battery as a voltage source in series with an internal resistor. As the battery ages or discharges, the internal resistance gets bigger. So a volt meter (theoretical infinate impedance) across the terminals draws no current and measures the voltage source, when you try to draw current, all the volts is dropped across the internal resistance and the terminal voltage colapses to zero. Bin the battery, expect this to happen every three years, if you get longer life, have a beer.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
beat
>1400
>1400

Post by beat »

hi skyp,
minetymenace wrote: have a beer.
:thumb
skippy
>1400
>1400