Everything else about us and our bikes.

Moderator: minetymenace

vetterlatethanever
>480
>480

act of vandalism

Post by vetterlatethanever »

I Know we all need bits and bobs to keep our ageing decrepit old bikes running,
But the braking up of complete and in generally good order bikes is a bit to far in my mind.
this A10 is currently being broken on Ebay because its worth more in parts than as a whole.
A very sad end to a nice old bike, And really how many of them parts will just sit in sheds gathering dust until there put back on the Ebay?
I buy more than most from Ebay but I think I would draw the line at buying parts from a bike I knew was being broken this way.
Attachments
$_58.JPG
bossy
>500
>500

Re: act of vandalism

Post by bossy »

I'll leave the morals of breaking the bike to others. That bike would sell complete for £3K all day long - I doubt it's worth much more than that in bits, eBay take a full 10% these days, PayPal Another 2%, you have to pack and ship loads of items and it will take months to shift it all. Not my idea of a great business scheme!
David S
>220
>220

Post by David S »

I watched a 1974 Triumph TR5MX that was in the process of being restored,being broken down for parts on Ebay! What a shame.

David S
Jeff K
>1400
>1400

Post by Jeff K »

There are several sellers who make a living buying bikes and busting them up for parts. It is a sin to see what they ruin. I have seen many rare bikes including a couple of TR5T's destroyed this way. I was talking to a State Police officer a while back and he said that Ebay is one of the biggest fencing operations in the world. Very few of these bike have titles and no one checks the back ground on them. It is a pain to get a title for a bike, but it can be done. I did 16 last year. The states and the feds are starting to go after some of the "parts" sellers. I know of a couple who got shut down.
Jeff
Graham
>10
>10

Post by Graham »

when you're essentially void of talent and have nothing more constructive to do, than break up bikes and put them in boxes, its probably as lucrative as any other skill-less vocation you could be performing.

i've done it once or twice for projects that were going to cost way more to get back on the road than they would ever be worth, never came ahead on my time, now i just put them up on craigslist cheap and let someone else have a project if they want to (or waste their time selling on ebay).

usually people doing this in my experience sit on this stuff for weeks or months at rediculous prices, cherry pick and manage to sell a few of the highest dollar items (tank, headlight, badges, sidecover) and throw the less valuable stuff in the garbage. These sorts of folks also tend to have scams, schill bidding and things like that, to ensure the game tips in their favor.
Jeff K
>1400
>1400

Post by Jeff K »

I got back today from picking up a set of B44 triple trees, forks, and complete gear set, cam plate etc with timing cover for $275.00 from a bike butcher. As I was leaving he told me that he picked up 16 B44's from the widow of a 80 year biker. And he was parting them out. <218 <218
Jeff