Last Laugh

Everything else about us and our bikes.

Moderator: minetymenace

Jeff K
>1400
>1400

Last Laugh

Post by Jeff K »

I am heading over to a old friend of mine. We have had a running joke about which bikes are better, he used to ride a T140. He parted with his triumph and bought a monstrosity of a bike. A huge 6 cylinder H*nda Valkyrie. So he is always poking fun at us old timers and our antiques and telling us how we should buy something from this century that is dependable. The new bike has a gas tank the size of a small car and yet he can only go as far on a tankful as he used to on his Triumph. Well it seems that this dependable bike left him stranded last week. Power to everything except it will not turn over the motor, and without a kick starter it is not going to start. He had to have it picked up and dropped off at his house. I am going over to help he sort out the problem, many "safety switches" and interlocks. Side stand needs to be down, bike in neutral etc. I suspect this is where the problem is. He admitted that his Triumph never left him stranded where he could not get it running and get it home.
I have to be nice to him because I sold him a mint 1974 Triumph B50MX 25 years ago and it is still in his garage where we put it then. He was thinking about selling it back to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jeff
beat
>1400
>1400

Re: Last Laugh

Post by beat »

Jeff K wrote:his Triumph never left him stranded
:thumb :thumb :thumb
:mrgreen:
Jeff K
>1400
>1400

Post by Jeff K »

I actually have state certificates as a automobile and motorcycle technician and I have a degree in electronics(old one). The days of a using a light bulb with two wires, A jumper wire, a power source(battery Charger) and maybe a cheap VOM meter to work on vehicles is long gone. I have a few units that plug into the OBDII ports and interface with the computers. But you still need very expensive manuals to go with these and the old days of real color coded wiring diagrams have been replaced with ladder diagrams that cover whole chapters.
I still use points. I can remember when a pull tab from a pop(beer) was the correct .015" to set the gap. I have popped the head light on a 850 Norton, reconnected the wires from under the tank that go to the coils from the points and ran them to the headlight. Then pulled the spark plug, bike on center stand, in 4th gear, the little stepped washer on the AAU holding it is advance. Then bump the rear tire by hand until the light goes out to set the correct timing. Yes the old coils fired when the points opened, not when they closed. 1/2 hour and one beer later and I was back on the road and on my way again.
Jeff
skippy
>1400
>1400

Post by skippy »

Computers are great, BUT if the computer gets it wrong todays technicians are lost. Nobody learns who things work anymore.
Example car stops after starting won't idle unless revved up, computer says coil fault, change coil still the same. We don't know then is the answer. later the battery fails completely, new battery problem solved. <201 :oops:
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes