B44 conrod who's broke one?

Everything else about us and our bikes.

Moderator: minetymenace

vetterlatethanever
>480
>480

B44 conrod who's broke one?

Post by vetterlatethanever »

I was just wondering has anyone had the rod trouble so prevalent on the B50 with there B44's
I am especially keen to here form anyone using an over bored B44 to 500cc or has race tuned there B44, who has used it trouble free with the original BSA rod.
midgie
>1300
>1300

Re: B44 conrod who's broke one?

Post by midgie »

I wouldn't risk it!
besaboy
>560
>560

Post by besaboy »

Don't !!!!
Ask Roger Taylor at RTS to see box of broken bits. Fit the right rod.
LONGSTROKE
>80
>80

Post by LONGSTROKE »

If you're going to put a lot of time and money into building a race engine then all this can be undone in a spectacular way with a broken rod. A rod failure could wreck the crankcases, crank, barrel. piston, gear cluster etc, in fact you name the engine part it could be damaged. We race a 500 Victor in some UK classic scrambles, ECMO and Classic MX des Nations where races can be 20 minutes plus a lap and these can be testing for a Victor. A Carrilo, NEB or other proven after market rod means your not riding with your fingers crossed! Consider it as an insurance but remember not all insurances pay out? I know lots of people race with standard Victor rods and have lots of success and fun but I certainly wouldn't. I'm waiting for one of these parasitic lawyers to call me mouthing PPI etc saying I've been mis-sold a Carrilo Rod! I'm off for a brew. <203
midgie
>1300
>1300

Post by midgie »

LONGSTROKE wrote:If you're going to put a lot of time and money into building a race engine then all this can be undone in a spectacular way with a broken rod. A rod failure could wreck the crankcases, crank, barrel. piston, gear cluster etc, in fact you name the engine part it could be damaged. We race a 500 Victor in some UK classic scrambles, ECMO and Classic MX des Nations where races can be 20 minutes plus a lap and these can be testing for a Victor. A Carrilo, NEB or other proven after market rod means your not riding with your fingers crossed! Consider it as an insurance but remember not all insurances pay out? I know lots of people race with standard Victor rods and have lots of success and fun but I certainly wouldn't. I'm waiting for one of these parasitic lawyers to call me mouthing PPI etc saying I've been mis-sold a Carrilo Rod! I'm off for a brew. <203
make sure you use a 'crack tested spoon' with that brew or it could end in tears! :laugh
lathejack
>180
>180

Post by lathejack »

midgie wrote:
LONGSTROKE wrote:If you're going to put a lot of time and money into building a race engine then all this can be undone in a spectacular way with a broken rod. A rod failure could wreck the crankcases, crank, barrel. piston, gear cluster etc, in fact you name the engine part it could be damaged. We race a 500 Victor in some UK classic scrambles, ECMO and Classic MX des Nations where races can be 20 minutes plus a lap and these can be testing for a Victor. A Carrilo, NEB or other proven after market rod means your not riding with your fingers crossed! Consider it as an insurance but remember not all insurances pay out? I know lots of people race with standard Victor rods and have lots of success and fun but I certainly wouldn't. I'm waiting for one of these parasitic lawyers to call me mouthing PPI etc saying I've been mis-sold a Carrilo Rod! I'm off for a brew. <203
make sure you use a 'crack tested spoon' with that brew or it could end in tears! :laugh
Now you're just being silly, this is a serious subject. It's the mug that should be crack tested, if a mug of hot tea suddenly fails over your lap that certainly will end in tears.
midgie
>1300
>1300

Post by midgie »

lathejack wrote:
midgie wrote:
Now you're just being silly, this is a serious subject. It's the mug that should be crack tested, if a mug of hot tea suddenly fails over your lap that certainly will end in tears.
ok 'fair cop' i'll give you that!
vetterlatethanever
>480
>480

Post by vetterlatethanever »

Thanks lads thats more or less what i knew you would say. But wantet to hear it for myself before ordering 3 carillo rods
So whos doing them at the best price at the moment.?
Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Post by Mark Cook »

I've never seen one fail in an otherwise sound engine. I agree they are probably marginal in an abused engine, but for most people with a mechanically sound road engine they will be fine.
Motorcycles and other parts manufactured by PES

+44 (0) 1709 894192
https://www.pesltd.uk (new online shopping experience)
LONGSTROKE
>80
>80

Post by LONGSTROKE »

vetterlatethanever wrote:I was just wondering has anyone had the rod trouble so prevalent on the B50 with there B44's
I am especially keen to here form anyone using an over bored B44 to 500cc or has race tuned there B44, who has used it trouble free with the original BSA rod.
Yes but its not a road engine he's interested in! Its a race engine perhaps taken out to 500. Thats a different matter all together.
midgie
>1300
>1300

Post by midgie »

LONGSTROKE wrote:
vetterlatethanever wrote:I was just wondering has anyone had the rod trouble so prevalent on the B50 with there B44's
Yes but its not a road engine he's interested in! Its a race engine perhaps taken out to 500. Thats a different matter all together.
absolutely, talk about tempting fate!