Everything else about us and our bikes.

Moderator: minetymenace

baz
>360
>360

Registering a b50 built from parts

Post by baz »

I have a BSA b50 engine and a b50 frame back wheel and tank
I have no documents for the frame or engine ,the numbers on both have not been tampered with and the frame is a re import from America I believe
I'd like to build this bike and register it I plan to use a modern disc brake front end
So the bike won't be original
Has anyone done something similar and managed to get a v5 ?
Cheers
Keefe
>100
>100

Re: Registering a b50 built from parts

Post by Keefe »

There's a post i this same section which talks about the same thing, also you may wish to contact the BSA owners club as they were quite helpful when I contacted them.

Mine is a B25 UK engine with a B25 US frame, but I'm a long way off applying for registration.

Keith
!974 Triumph T150V
1974 Triumph TR5T
1971 BSA B50 Frame with a 1959 Triumph 3TA Engine
1971 BSA B25T Frame with a 1971 B25FS Engine (Rebuild in progress)
2007 S*zuki Bandit 1200 K6
baz
>360
>360

Post by baz »

Keefe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 pm There's a post i this same section which talks about the same thing, also you may wish to contact the BSA owners club as they were quite helpful when I contacted them.

Mine is a B25 UK engine with a B25 US frame, but I'm a long way off applying for registration.

Keith
Yep I've read that
I think I'll give it a go
I have heard a few horror stories of bikes being rejected because the DVLA wanted the original registration from the country it came from plus the Nova
I don't have any documents for mine at all
I'll rejoin the BSA owners club I think and see what they say
I had a hell of a job registering my trident that I bought from Germany
And I had the German registration and a Nova and a letter from the triumph owners club
And an official dating officer inspected it but he wrote the chassis number wrong
And he advised me to send a photo copy of the German registration to the DVLA
So it's not entirely suprising as the DVLA do state "you must send the original registration document" and they destroy it
Cheers
SteveS
>680
>680

Post by SteveS »

I've registered 4 vehicles over the last 12 months or so with no major issues, A65, 2x B50 and A75.

What I would recommend you do is first join the BSAOC. Next fill in their form BSADCVR just for the frame only. You'r not after a Vehicle Report just a Dating Certificate at this stage.

Next get hold of a NOVA1 form from HRMC and complete as much of the document that you can for the frame only. Send the form together with a covering letter, any documentation you have for the frame, pics of the frame (including at least one with the frame number clearly visible) plus the BSA Dating Certificate. I also sent a copy of the BSADCVR application. In your covering letter just explain the background to the frame you have purchased, where and when it was purchased, what your intentions are i.e. you plan to build the frame up into a refurbished complete machine and register it with the DVLA. However, before you commence work you wanted to establish if any import duties were payable. HRMC are not bothered about the engine so don't complicate matters by telling them about it.

All being well and HRMC are satisfied that no duties are payable you will get a NOVA form returned with the all important NOVA number. If you reach this stage you are effectively home and dry. You will then have to build up the complete bike and then go back to the BSAOC, fill in the BSADCVR in full this time to obtain a full Vehicle Report. Once you get the VR back from the BSAOC it's on to the DVLA V5 application which is very straightforward. The BSAOC include details on how the DVLA form is filled in when they return the VR.

If you plan on building a non standard machine you will run into complications as the machine will be classed as a reconstructed classic or radically altered vehicle, more hoops to jump through and more pain. Best plan is to put the bike together with as many standard parts as possible, keep it simple :thumb You can change the look of the bike after it's registered.

There may be some shortcuts you can take but what I've described has worked successfully for me.

Hope this helps
Steve Sewell
baz
>360
>360

Post by baz »

SteveS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:50 pm I've registered 4 vehicles over the last 12 months or so with no major issues, A65, 2x B50 and A75.

What I would recommend you do is first join the BSAOC. Next fill in their form BSADCVR just for the frame only. You'r not after a Vehicle Report just a Dating Certificate at this stage.

Next get hold of a NOVA1 form from HRMC and complete as much of the document that you can for the frame only. Send the form together with a covering letter, any documentation you have for the frame, pics of the frame (including at least one with the frame number clearly visible) plus the BSA Dating Certificate. I also sent a copy of the BSADCVR application. In your covering letter just explain the background to the frame you have purchased, where and when it was purchased, what your intentions are i.e. you plan to build the frame up into a refurbished complete machine and register it with the DVLA. However, before you commence work you wanted to establish if any import duties were payable. HRMC are not bothered about the engine so don't complicate matters by telling them about it.

All being well and HRMC are satisfied that no duties are payable you will get a NOVA form returned with the all important NOVA number. If you reach this stage you are effectively home and dry. You will then have to build up the complete bike and then go back to the BSAOC, fill in the BSADCVR in full this time to obtain a full Vehicle Report. Once you get the VR back from the BSAOC it's on to the DVLA V5 application which is very straightforward. The BSAOC include details on how the DVLA form is filled in when they return the VR.

If you plan on building a non standard machine you will run into complications as the machine will be classed as a reconstructed classic or radically altered vehicle, more hoops to jump through and more pain. Best plan is to put the bike together with as many standard parts as possible, keep it simple :thumb You can change the look of the bike after it's registered.

There may be some shortcuts you can take but what I've described has worked successfully for me.

Hope this helps
Very interesting reading
Thank you for advice ,I'll post on here if successful
Cheers
JB
>520
>520

Post by JB »

Steve, that's very helpful, especially so as I'm in the process of importing a very low millage 1972 model year A65T built in August 1971 with its US title.

What I'm finding a bit concerning is that I've recently seen two 1972 model year A65's that have been incorrectly dated as 1971 bikes and been given a UK J registration plate when the cut off date for its manufacture is the end of July, and so should be K registered after August 1st, one of them is even in this months Classic BIke magazine!!! (It's clearly a 72 model as it has all the changes from the front forks, front & rear brakes, rear suspension and seat)
It's a worry when the so called dating experts who are recognised by the DVLC can't even get it right themselves!
John
SteveS
>680
>680

Post by SteveS »

Hi John

The DVLA go by the despatch date provided by the owners club. My 72 model R3 despatched Sept 71 got a 'K' plate, one of my B50's despatched May 71 got a 'J' plate.

Not sure how this concern could be overcome
Steve Sewell
JB
>520
>520

Post by JB »

Hi Steve

I appreciate they go by the dispatch date (perhaps there are errors with them), and yet I've recently seen a dealer selling what was clearly a 72 model A65T with frame & engine stamped KG that was also registered on J plate... doesn't appear to be right?
I'll wait and see what happens with my 72 model A65L that's stamped JG with its 72 model year build number below 500 from August, hopefully it gets a K plate as it should, time will tell.

Cheers for now
John
beesa71
>340
>340

Post by beesa71 »

It’s well known that there are many organisations and individuals authorised by the DVLA to provide dating certificates (as we like to call them). Maybe not all of them have access to the detailed despatch records as held by the BSAOC (for instance).

The despatch book is clearly the bible in terms of when a machine was built, despatched and to which importer or dealer it went. It sometimes provides further fascinating information in, literally, the margins - in that respect the information about the XON 9xxJ B50’s has been invaluable in researching them and the Mead & Tomkinson endurance racing machines.

There are many instances of where a machine build date and its despatch date are some chronological distance apart.

The BSAOC ‘dating’ team are always totally straight in what they declare on a certificate, ask for anything dodgy and you’ll simply be refused. They are though particularly keen to help you through the minefield of retaining or obtaining a registration mark. If you’ve not seen the hand written despatch books then rest assured it’s sometimes a very time consuming exercise to ‘find’ a particular machine.

So, what am I suggesting? Well, if you want the most complete and accurate information relating to a BSA go to the BSAOC team.

Regards to all OIF’ers.

Paul.
beesa71
>340
>340

Post by beesa71 »

Oh, and don’t forget....... you haven’t built a B50 from parts you’ve just recommissioned it.

Paul.