New w/B50

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

HELPB50
>10
>10

New w/B50

Post by HELPB50 »

Hi guys,

New here.. Have a B50T w/8 TLR wheel and perhaps some engine upgrades.
Just got it and it was starting on first kick from cold but wouldn't keep idle. The amal carb was all messed up, someone had put it back together with cork and glue at the float bowl seam.

Ordered a new carb and it'll be a week or so till I get it. In the meantime pulled a premier 30mm / 106 / 19 / 280 carb off another bike to test if I could get the engine going.. Got it fired up first kick but wouldn't drive off (stalled with gas). So tried a few more times adjusting the settings and it backfired something terrible while trying to start so I gave up and am waiting for the carb now. I also feel like the clutch plates are sticking a lot so I think I'll have to clean up the clutch plates.

Does anyone know of any good drop-in clutch mods or new clutch plates/etc that will make the clutch run smoother? Or should I just start with cleaning the plates up?

Bike has a Norton Commando tank fitted rather well (frame has plates locked on that correspond to the commando tank). Only issue is that the oil tap causes the tank to be a bit further back than I would like. Ideally I'd like to change the tank out for one that looks like the photo below but for now I want the bike running so I can ride it around.

Currently how the bike looks:

This is the tank and seat I want, wonder if anyone can help:

Really hope to get this bike sorted ASAP!! Thanks guys!!
In NZ with my sorta working BSA
Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Re: New w/B50

Post by Mark Cook »

Motorcycles and other parts manufactured by PES

+44 (0) 1709 894192
https://www.pesltd.uk (new online shopping experience)
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

Hi Mark, thanks for this... I take it though that it won't be easy to switch out the Splined Mainshaft?

Keep in mind I'm already having trouble just trying to remove the kickstart lever :::facepalm:::
Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Post by Mark Cook »

Removing the kickstart mechanism is easy.
Changing the mainshaft isn't too bad either and can be done with the engine in the frame.
Motorcycles and other parts manufactured by PES

+44 (0) 1709 894192
https://www.pesltd.uk (new online shopping experience)
FGF
>240
>240

Post by FGF »

Hello HelpB50,
if need , you 'll find a lot of answers in that book : http://www.ratiopublishing.co.uk/The-Ru ... l-Volume-1

about the tank , i 've a Rickman alloy tank like on your second picture : if you use it , this seat is really longer than yours ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8955&p=85871&hilit= ... ank#p85871

Francois
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

Would you sell me the tank?
FGF wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm Hello HelpB50,
if need , you 'll find a lot of answers in that book : http://www.ratiopublishing.co.uk/The-Ru ... l-Volume-1

about the tank , i 've a Rickman alloy tank like on your second picture : if you use it , this seat is really longer than yours ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8955&p=85871&hilit= ... ank#p85871

Francois
Last edited by HELPB50 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

Mark Cook wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:24 am Removing the kickstart mechanism is easy.
Changing the mainshaft isn't too bad either and can be done with the engine in the frame.
Let me read up on how to do this.. I'm keen on quite a few things on the site that's for sale.
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

Also what motorcycles would have tanks that would fit a B50? Maybe not direct bolt on but the right tube fit w/some light modifications? Anyone done something like that?
BSA_WM20
>1000
>1000

Post by BSA_WM20 »

Modern tanks can be made to fit
I saw one running a tank from an XJ 750 Y*maha by welding the rear Y*maha tank mount to the BSA frame
I have seen the same done with an SR 500 tank
Because of the width of the OIF top tube you are fairly well limited to other OIF tanks
B44 tanks can be made to fit but you have to splay out the sides a bit then fit very thin rubbers which makes the tank look too high
The one I saw was the "arrow head tank ( could hav e been fron an A65 FS too ) but the owher had put two big dings in the front to give the forks clearance.
If you search this site a year or so back was details of modifing an alloy ( Lita I think ) to fit .
The availible space between the steering stem & saddle is deceptively short .
There was also a Trackmaster combined seat & tank made for a while but being fiberglassit won't last long with modern fuel .
Bike Beesa
Trevor
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

https://www.omegaracer.com/parts_store/ ... nk-misano/

This looks pretty good. And the back end is raised a bit so might not sit too high and it looks as if that model is OIF too? Still not exactly what I'm looking for but not sure if I'll be able to get someone to make the tank fit perfectly so need something 90% of the way there... And also want something bigger than the current tanks available for B50.
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

Does anyone actually know the owner of the Red racer BSA that I posted a photo of above?
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

<135 to the forum HELPB50. Would you update your profile and let everyone know roughly where in the world you are please? <135
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

Done! :D
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

Noticed a lot of parts are interchangeable with triumph and BSA but not entirely sure which ones exactly.

Does anyone have a master list of part numbers that match up with BSA from triumph?
Specifically looking for:

Clutch cable
Throttle Cable
Front brake cable (I think I have the 8" TLS)
Valve lifter cable

Points cover
Rocker cover
inlet(?) cover (the black thing).

Clutch plates to make the BSA better (that 7 stack thing). I would buy the whole lot mentioned above but I have a feeling it'll be very troublesome for me to install the shaft needed to use the above mentioned clutch kit.

Thanks!
eebtr7
>360
>360

Post by eebtr7 »

The time has come to ask you some relevant, yet delicate, questions. Please do not be offended as we seek to help you as best we can.

As for your back ground;
1. What is your age?
2. Is this your first BSA single?
3. Are you an experienced motorcyclist?
4. What kind of facilities do you have for making repairs to the machine?
5. What is your intent for the BSA?

With this information we will be able to better tailor our responses to your needs and facilitate your progress.

Thank you.
HELPB50
>10
>10

Post by HELPB50 »

eebtr7 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:11 pm The time has come to ask you some relevant, yet delicate, questions. Please do not be offended as we seek to help you as best we can.

As for your back ground;
1. What is your age?
2. Is this your first BSA single?
3. Are you an experienced motorcyclist?
4. What kind of facilities do you have for making repairs to the machine?
5. What is your intent for the BSA?

With this information we will be able to better tailor our responses to your needs and facilitate your progress.

Thank you.
1. Not sure the relevance, but people have been known to say I act 20.
2. Yes, but it was this or buy a Manx engine and it's cheaper to cock up a BSA B50T.
3. Nope I actually hate motorcycles, the smell, the noise etc.. Seriously not sarcasm, I'm just trying to force myself to like them because they look cool.
4. Some hand tools and a ton of open space. Plus can get whatever but no experience to use said things (like a lathe or CNC machine etc)
5. Pictures above for visual intent. But realistically just a casual bike. I bought it as it's a better fit for me (it's tall enough and slim/short enough) vs my Norton featherbed and my Commando for quick rides down to the beach and back (commando feels very long for a city and featherbed feels very small and front bulky). Also because I finished my Featherbed Norton and my Commando is in limbo awaiting parts and I can't focus on just one thing at a time TBH. Seriously I have three work stations setup and I rotate between them when I get frustrated doing X job on X bike.

Hope this helps!