Please use the search!

Some words about this forum

Moderator: minetymenace

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Please use the search!

Post by minetymenace »

I have noticed lately that there are a lot of posts on topics that have already been amply covered in the past. Please don't forget to use the search facility, there is a wealth of info hidden in previous posts, there is nothing wrong with adding to old posts as they will get "bumped"...
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Sundodger
>100
>100

Re: Please use the search!

Post by Sundodger »

Minety, just an observation on the site search engine that I've noticed on another site I used to belong to that had the same 'format', if that's the right word. It's far from infallible.
I've found that doing a Google search using B50 or BSA B50 and then adding what I'm looking for brings up hits on this forum that don't appear when searching on the forum itself -- If that makes sense.
As an example, I was going back through some old Project posts last night and noticed someone mentioned using Boeshield to protect alloy parts that he had polished.
This morning I couldn't remember the product name, a good nights sleep will do that at my age! So recalling that the poster mentioned that the product was developed by Boeing I entered Boeing into the site search box and nothing came up however putting B50 Boeing into Google took me back to this site where the poster mentioned that the stuff (technical term), is called Boeshield. Which again, despite being a very distinctive word, doesn't give any results in the site search engine.
Not offering this up as an excuse for people who can't be bothered to do some basic research first before asking a question, I'm guilty as charged too on that one. just an observation.
If I had half the ability I think I have, I'd be bloody good!
SteveS
>740
>740

Post by SteveS »

Hi Gerry

We have a great resource here and I am not knocking Rickard's commitment and perseverance in providing and maintaining this forum but have to agree with Clive. I don't believe all the data is searchable. I think Rickard alluded to this a while back, something to do with updating to the latest version of phpBB? If I can't get the Advanced Search to provide the results I require I now tend to take the same approach as Clive by searching on Google for my key words, ensurimg I include 'b50.org' as one of my key words, it usually works well and I find what I am looking for :thumb
Steve Sewell
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Excellent tip on using Google plus B50.org....sentiment still applies, please try to add to an existing topic rather than create a plethora of topics on the same subject :thumb
LachlanNZ
1-10
1-10

Post by LachlanNZ »

the search on this site is straight out of 1997 . you cant even search "CCM"

anyone who wants to use google type in what you want then follow it with "site:www.b50.org"

this also goes for any site . or country "site:nz" in my case
SteveS
>740
>740

Post by SteveS »

Hi LachlanNZ
and
site:nz
That's a useful tip :thumb (I don't believe you need to include the www, just site:B50.org will do)

The site may be a bit antiquated in some respects but remember Rickard maintains this site at his own expense and together with the Moderator give their time freely as well.

Gerry, would it be worth including the detail about how to search using internet search engines on the advanced search page?
Steve Sewell
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

I'm just the oily rag, think that is one for the engine driver Steve...